GE Profile Refrigerator (Arctica side-by-side PSS26NS) not staying cold

Old 12-05-14, 06:08 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
GE Profile Refrigerator (Arctica side-by-side PSS26NS) not staying cold

Thanks in advance to anyone who might have an idea of where to start with this problem!

For the past several months, the refrigerator (normally set to be at 37 degrees in the refrigerator, and 0 degrees in the freezer) has intermittently climbed up to about 45 degrees / 5 degrees, but then it would after an hour or so come back down to the right temperatures and stay there for several weeks.

Well, today it climbed up to about 47 degrees / 8 degrees and it has been there all day and is not coming back down.

Any idea where to start? It does not sound like the refrigerator is "coming on" but I am not sure what to be listening for. I am comfortable disassembling stuff, working with motors/electronics, etc. - I just know very little about refrigerators!

Would greatly appreciate some insight or things to check to further diagnose!

Many thanks,

--Steve

Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-14, 06:18 PM
Quick addendum...

I stuck a thermometer in the freezer several hours ago to try to get an actual ready on the temperature in the refrigerator - it reads 29 degrees, whereas the LED display in the refrigerator says that the freezer is at 7 degrees. So definitely something going on with the temperature sensing?

--Steve

Old 12-05-14, 06:43 PM
Group Moderator
Received 345 Votes on 323 Posts
You stuck a thermometer in the freezer to read the fridge temp. ????

That series of fridges had control board problems. Take a quick look at the following link and see if your fridge serial number falls in the affected units.

GE Profile Refrigerator

Old 12-05-14, 07:19 PM
Ha ha - that's what happens when you try to write a coherent post at 9:00 on a Friday! I did stick the thermometer in the *freezer* to measure the *freezer*.

Thanks also for the link - our refrigerator unit is in fact one of the units that is listed for the control board replacement. It looks like the folks in that other post were able to just call GE to get a replacement board sent out free of charge.

I will give them a call over the weekend or Monday - is there anything you would recommend testing in the interim just in case that doesn't do the trick?

Many thanks for the quick reply!

--Steve

Old 12-05-14, 07:29 PM
Group Moderator
Reading your problem description tells me that both sides are being affected equally. That usually points to a compressor issue. My thought originally was defrost timer. In your fridge.... that function is controlled by that board. That line of fridges also has an evaporator fan issue but if that was the problem.... you would have a fairly cold freezer and a warm fridge.

Old 12-05-14, 08:19 PM
Many thanks PJMax - will let you know how it goes!

Old 12-08-14, 08:28 AM
Just got off the phone with GE Consumer Relations - they would not give me the board for free, but did discount it by 25% - should be here this week, at which point we'll give it a shot and see what happens. Will post back once I have received and installed it...

--Steve

Old 12-22-14, 03:50 PM
Hey PJMax - sorry for the long delay in posting an update - GE shipping took forever to get the board to me. I pulled out the refrigerator, vacuumed and cleaned the coils underneath, and popped in the new board with about 5 minutes of work - and it worked like a charm! We've had it running for about 2 days now with no issues. Many thanks for the rapid and accurate diagnosis - a simple 'thank you' doesn't seem to be enough to cover the money you saved me if I had paid GE to come out and figure this out with a repair person.

Merry Christmas!

--Steve

Old 12-22-14, 07:10 PM
Group Moderator
Just stopping back and telling me you've got the problem resolved is thanks enough. Name:  cool.gif
Views: 87
Size:  1.2 KB
A lot of people follow these threads and check back for resolutions.

Last edited by PJmax; 12-22-14 at 07:38 PM.