GE GSS25JEMCBB fridge not cooling

Old 12-11-14, 06:44 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
GE GSS25JEMCBB fridge not cooling

After coming home from vacation I found our fridge and freezer a bit warm. Thinking that we might have accidently left the freezer open a bit I let it go for a day but that was not the problem.

I am a plumber by trade so I am comfortable taking apart and testing just about anything on the fridge.

What I have done so far.

I checked the circuit board and I do not see any melted solder points. I opened the freezer and found the fan inside the freezer stuttering. I took the fan out and found the coil in the freezer covered in frost. I melted out the frost with a hair dryer and reinstalled the fan. The fan now runs fine.

Upon plugging the fridge back in the compressor and the fan under the fridge started. The compressor pulled 10.5 amps (tag says 11.5 is locked rotor) after the compressor tried to start a couple times it did start running ok. My amp draw is now only about 0.85

I'm assuming this has something to do with a defrost timer? But I don't honestly know what that looks like or how to test it.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-14, 07:51 PM
Group Moderator
Received 345 Votes on 323 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Your fridge uses adaptive defrost technology. It's part of the control board. There is no defrost timer.

Was the fan stuttering because it was hitting ice ?
You plugged the fridge in and the compressor did not start and stay running.... it started cycling ?

Are you also saying that with the compressor running.... it's only drawing .85A ?

Old 12-11-14, 08:17 PM
Group Moderator
Adding some additional information. The picture below should be your control board. The little black cubes are relays. The one circled in red should be the compressor relay. Check the solder on all the relays and that one in particular. Also check the solder on the connecting pins.

You mentioned the fan was stuttering. I'm thinking at that point the compressor was trying to run and couldn't.

Name:  GE board.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  42.4 KB

Old 12-12-14, 07:11 AM
The fan was not hitting ice. It was starting and then slowing repeatedly.
There really wasn't ice just a buildup of frost. It was thick frost but still soft enough to remove by hand.
I checked the compressor again and it was running at 1 amp. The freezer was cold this morning when I left for work. I will double check the board when I get home. I will also take the fan out again and check if the frost started to build back up again.

Old 12-12-14, 01:46 PM
I got home and checked the freezer. It is now very cold and seemingly working well. I also checked the coil in the freezer and it is free of frost/ice.
The only thing I did just notice was the flap for the ice dispenser was stuck open.
Thanks for all of your help so far. I intend to open the fridge up and check out the relay just to be sure.

Old 12-12-14, 01:55 PM
Group Moderator
The stuck flap can be a cause of frost on the coil.