GE Electric Range, Baking Heating Element Question

Old 12-20-14, 03:16 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
GE Electric Range, Baking Heating Element Question

A small part of the baking heating element turns bright red before the rest of the element and stays much brighter than the rest of the heating element during baking. Is this an indicator of a problem to come? Like the element breaking or going up in flames... during Christmas dinner preparation?

The oven is almost 10 years old, GE brand, original element.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Happy Holidays!

Twizzler

Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-14, 05:19 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,113 Votes on 1,033 Posts
That is a weak spot in the element and can short out at any time. Order a replacement element now so you have it on hand. I'd replace it before it shorts.

If you post the model number for the range I can leave you some replacement info.

Old 12-20-14, 06:21 PM
T
Thx!

GE Range, Model # JBP69CH2CC. Is the element easy to replace?

Thank you!!

Old 12-20-14, 06:52 PM
Group Moderator
The part number for the element is WB44T10011.
The actual element is held in by two screws. After they are removed the element will pull out of the oven frame to expose the slide on wire connections. The oven MUST be disconnected from power when an element is being replaced as one of the terminals could have power on it.

The link below is one place you can purchase the element plus they have a short video of the actual replacement. You can use the part number above to locate other vendors like amazon or check with a local appliance parts distributor in your area.

GE Range/Stove/Oven Bake Element WB44T10011 Repair Clinic

Old 12-20-14, 07:47 PM
M
Question

In the video on Amazon the repairman takes the cover off the "innards" that are located on the rear of the stove, and I can't figure out why. He doesn't seem to do anything back there. Everything else he does is inside the oven, except unplugging and then reconnecting the power cord, and that doesn't actually involve those innards. What am I missing?

Old 12-20-14, 08:22 PM
G
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Don't know about Amazon, but the site Pete refers to mentions that it may be necessary to remove the back if there is a problem disconnecting or re connecting the wires.

Old 12-21-14, 12:57 AM
Group Moderator
Sometimes when the wires are dressed behind the oven they are tied too tight and there is not enough loose wire to pull the connections inside the oven so you have to gain slack from the back.

Old 12-21-14, 11:23 AM
M
Thank you. I've never had occasion to replace an oven element but someday maybe I'll need this.

Old 12-23-14, 05:53 AM
T
Red face All Fixed!

A big THANK YOU for your help Pete! I was able to pick up a new heating element yesterday and hubby and I installed it last night. The connections were a little hard to undo and at one point we thought the wire would disappear back into the hole (didn't have too much slack) but we were successful! Now I can cook Christmas dinner without fear of the oven not working.

Merry Christmas to all!

Twizzler

Old 12-23-14, 08:54 AM
Group Moderator
Great job Thanks for stopping back and updating us. Name:  xmas_attach-22947.gif
Views: 63
Size:  332 Bytes