LG 7551ST Growling Noise

Old 12-27-14, 05:19 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
LG 7551ST Growling Noise

Bought a LG LDF7551ST in Sept. of 2013. Worked fine for a while, then I noticed it made a growling noise during the wash cycle. It seems to wash the dishes fine, but during the wash cycle it is growling. It varies in pitch with the cycle; like when it goes faster, it growls more.

During the rinse/ drain cycle there is no noise. My thought is that it may be related to the main drive motor and I possibly have a bearing issue.

Should I troubleshoot this myself or call an authorized LG service tech. I'm a machinist by trade and have experience with motors, gears and other things mechanical.

I believe the main drive motor is still under warranty, I think it is 2 years on this component, should it need to be replaced.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-14, 05:53 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Make sure that it's under warranty before you tell them to make a service call. If it isn't, troubleshoot it yourself.

Old 12-27-14, 07:40 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,113 Votes on 1,033 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Your appliance has a one year labor and two year parts warranty with extended coverage of five years for the control board and the racks.

Your machine has a separate pump and motor which is why you don't hear any noise when it's draining.

Usually I can locate a repair video but I haven't seen any for your washer. The following link is a parts breakdown for the pump/sump area. Click on "view full size" under the diagram and a diagram will open in a new page. Click on the new diagram for an exploded view.

LG Dishwasher Sump assembly Parts | Model LDF7551ST | SearsPartsDirect

I would remove the filter and screen assemblies to see if there is anything lodged in the impeller. I was also reading a piece on an LG Q/A site and there was mention of trying a different washing soap. A growl is usually a bearing sound but it could be a seal issue too.

Last edited by PJmax; 12-28-14 at 07:06 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-28-14, 02:02 PM
J
Thanks so much for the prompt reply. I appreciate the instructions and diagram and I'll get started on checking the impeller for debris and I may try a different detergent.

Jim

Old 12-28-14, 03:22 PM
J
Thanks, I was concerned about that.
Jim