How to mend broken electric oven element wire?

Old 01-03-15, 10:46 AM
F
Received 24 Votes on 19 Posts
How to mend broken electric oven element wire?

I thought the element was burned out but when I removed it, the wire on one side was broken. The connection still was screwed together tightly but the wire had failed. What is the safest/most effective way to repair this?

Sorry 'bout the fuzzy pic; the location is a bit inaccessible, and my better camera broke.

Also I note that the surface of the wires is a bit 'fuzzy.' Is this anything to be concerned about?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-15, 11:03 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,113 Votes on 1,033 Posts
I'm guessing the wire came out of or burned out of a lug. All metal crimps are available.
Are these the fittings that just slide on to the element or nut and bolt ?

Old 01-03-15, 11:11 AM
F
And a couple more, 'different' quality:

Old 01-03-15, 11:14 AM
F
They're connected with a flathead screw.

Old 01-03-15, 05:18 PM
F
The wire is (was) terminated with a type of (what I since have learned is called) a ring terminal. Except the inside diameter of the ting is sort of serrated to engage the threaded on the screw.

This is what the bit that broke off looks like:

And another try showing what I'm left with on the inside:

Old 01-03-15, 07:29 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 67 Posts
Can you unscrew the screw, usually screw is welded and will not turn.

Old 01-04-15, 09:35 AM
F
No, they were not welded. Just screwed together. I replaced the lower element myself maybe six months ago when the main element burned in two (the blue arcing inside the oven was what they call "a clue").

I wouldn't even have even bothered to post if that same connector were still available, but this oven is 30+ years old, and I 'spect that type of connector now is a museum piece. Especially since I saw the lighting it created when the lower element broke, this is more current than I'm comfortable playing with without adult supervision (and Mama'd kill me if my oven repair was the cause of her house burning down ). So I'm just looking to make sure that whatever I replace that connector with is up to the task.

Old 01-04-15, 05:59 PM
Group Moderator
It would probably best to take a trip to a local appliance parts retailer. They should have the correct terminals right there for you. The type you have there is the flag style of ring terminal.

I use all metal (uninsulated) crimp terminals and I crimp them with a gun.

Name:  rings.jpg
Views: 2305
Size:  16.3 KB

Old 01-08-15, 08:40 AM
F
Sorry to take so long to close this out.

I got the 911 call from Mamma half an hour before the only appliance parts store in my home town closed on Saturday. She was hosting a once-in-a-blue-moon Sunday family dinner the next day, so the heat was on to get it fixed, like yesterday. But that wasn't in the cards so I had to wait until Monday to be sure I'd got the right part.

The connector they sold me, PJmax, was the spittin' image of the ones you posted. Cost me a whopping 50. The gent who sold it to me was insistent that I put a good crimp on it, and and I asked about maybe a drop or two of solder, too, he said that also would be a good idea. So I crimped it and then put a dab of solder on it.

The funny thing was, my mother took the opportunity to "G.I" the oven while I had the element removed, but she didn't tell me. She also didn't get all the cleaner rinsed off, so when I put the element back in and switched it on broil, the kitchen began to fill with really acrid smoke.

So I immediately figured I'd botched the repair job and the wires had broken again and shorted out on something behind the panel. So I switched it off and tripped the circuit breaker and waited for it to cool.

When I took it apart again, the wires looked fine; no scorch marks, and no sign of fire in the surrounding insulation. That was when my mother decided to tell me about her little clean-up.

Anyway, mark this one SOLVED. Thanks for the help, gents.

Old 01-08-15, 09:22 AM
Group Moderator
I thought that was pretty funny.

Glad you got the problem resolved. Can't have a broken oven and a mom that cooks.