Refrigerator Struggles to Reach 40

Old 01-11-15, 04:14 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Refrigerator Struggles to Reach 40

Hi, my freezer was staying cold but my fridge was way too warm. Turned out to be the defrost thermostat. Replaced that, but now, with the fridge setting to coldest, and the freezer damper 3/4 of the way open, the fridge barely gets to 40 degrees. Unfortunately, I don't know what temperature it was being kept at before I replaced the defrost thermostat, but I'm thinking with the fridge turned to coldest and the damper almost completely open, the fridge should be way colder, right? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-15, 04:42 PM
Group Moderator
Received 477 Votes on 447 Posts
Without a make and model it's hard to give exact information.

How did you determine it was the defrost thermostat ?
If that was a problem the evaporator would have been ice clogged.

Try setting both to midway. Usually, but not always, the fridge temperature control controls the whole box (compressor) and the damper controls the freezer.

Old 01-11-15, 05:59 PM
Hi PJ, it's a Kenmore 253.73894300

Yes, the evaporator was covered in ice. The heating element did not come on when the timer hit defrost mode. New defrost thermostat, and the heating element works again. I replaced it last week.

I had the damper at halfway. It controls how much cold air is let into the fridge. I had the fridge thermostat on 6 (coldest). The fridge would get to about 40, so i opened the damper a little more, it helped by about 1 or 2 degrees. My point is, I would think the fridge should be way colder than this with these settings.

Old 01-13-15, 06:56 PM
Anyone have any suggestions?

Old 01-15-15, 03:52 PM
Received 22 Votes on 22 Posts
I believe that 38*is about right for a refrigerator,what is the freezer temp?
Geo

Old 01-15-15, 04:36 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
How old is this fridge that you can manually change the damper setting? I've had a few fridges in my time and there was no damper except for the veggies and cheese/cold cuts section. Is this a new thing?

Just wondering....

Old 01-15-15, 11:43 PM
Group Moderator
Most fridges have dampers. Some are electronically controlled and others are mechanical.

The fridge has a mechanical thermostat that controls the compressor which controls the temperature of the whole box.

The freezer control is a mechanically operated damper. It changes the airflow between the freezer and the fridge.

Have you confirmed the evaporator fan is running ?

Old 01-16-15, 04:20 PM
Hi, yes the fan is running and the damper is not clogged. I can feel more air come into the fridge when I open it more. My ice cream is staying frozen but softening so if i open it any more, I feel the freezer won't be cold enough. With damper setting where it is and fridge thermostat at the coldest setting, fridge is currently 40 degrees.

Old 01-16-15, 06:14 PM
Group Moderator
Do you hear the compressor cycling or is running continuously.

If it's cycling then it points to a defective thermostat.

If it's running continuously then it's not cooling properly. That could mean the heat is not being dissipated out the bottom. That could be from too much dust and grease in the condensor coil or a non working condensor fan. It could also be a refrigerant leak although not as common as dust.

Old 01-18-15, 09:15 AM
Hi pj, it doesn't run continuously which adds to my confusion. However, it could use a cleaning underneath. I'll give it a scrub and see if it helps. Thanks

Old 02-02-15, 08:39 AM
Ok, so I went to clean the fridge 2 weeks ago and the thermometer said 33 degrees in the fridge, which surprised me. I cleaned out under the fridge (using compressed air and shop vac) ... temperature now fluctuates between 37 and 40. Didn't change any temp settings. Fridge is 13 years old, could it just be she's old and cant get as cold anymore?

Old 02-02-15, 01:56 PM
Group Moderator
Did you make sure the fan is still running under the fridge ?

If the compressor cycles then you are still at a thermostat issue. If the compressor runs continuously and can't catch up.... then you have a compressor/refrigerant issue.