GE Icemaker

Old 01-14-15, 06:06 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
GE Icemaker

Hello I have a GE fridge with ice maker that stopped making ice. In troubleshooting I figured out that the water valve closed off on its own. So I replaced the valve and primed the icemaker, still no ice. So I thought maybe there was frozen water in the hose in the fridge since it had been in there so long and yep it was frozen and I defrosted it with a blow dryer, primed the icemaker again and still no ice. Next I unplugged the fridge for five minutes thinking maybe it needed to be reset and still nothing. The icemaker worked fine prior to the water supply valve failure. I am at a lost of what to do next.

Last edited by BrentTurner; 01-14-15 at 07:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-15, 06:45 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
The icemaker worked fine until the valve gunked up.
Gunked up with what? What is in the water? It can't be good. You need to determine what's in the water & how to filter it.

Old 01-14-15, 06:56 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,113 Votes on 1,033 Posts
There are two different water supply problems. One is the solenoid (the electric coil) opens and the valve won't operate or the valve leaks and the end of the line freezes where it comes into the freezer. You really can't purge the water line. It could take up to 24 hours for the water to purge itself.

If there is no water in the ice cube tray.... the ice maker should cycle, and of course drop nothing, but the fill valve will still open on every cycle.

You could try filling the ice cube tray by hand and see if the ice maker will harvest it.

Old 01-14-15, 07:10 PM
B
Yes I primed the icemaker several times but it still doesn't want to fill by itself. I may try replacing the solenoid this weekend. I never had a issue until the water supply line valve rusted and closed down on itself.

Last edited by BrentTurner; 01-14-15 at 07:28 PM.
Old 01-14-15, 07:18 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
What about the gunk? Doesn't that mean anything?

Old 01-14-15, 07:23 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,113 Votes on 1,033 Posts
water valve rusted and closed down on itself
I'm not sure I understand what that means.

Most ice maker valves are plastic bodies with a metal solenoid. The valve is replaced as a complete unit.... it's not serviceable.

You said you primed the ice maker..... does that mean you poured water into the tray and it froze and dumped ?

Old 01-14-15, 07:27 PM
B
I misquoted when I said gunk the water supply line valve failed and fell down and closed off the water supply to the fridge.