Kenmore washer will not change speeds?

Old 01-17-15, 08:49 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Kenmore washer will not change speeds?

I have a Kenmore 80 series washer model #110.28882790 that will not change speeds. It spins and agitates on heavy duty only. I changed the speed selector switch with a used one off ebay and nothing changed. I also checked all the connections at the motor and everything appeared to be good. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-15, 05:00 PM
F
Spin speed does not change between heavy duty and regular, both are in high speed. When you change speed selector switch, does motor go into a continuous start/stop cycle? Did you check the two pin connector at the motor? That is for the slow and extra slow speeds. If the speed switch was faulty, the motor would continuously start/stop. Motor always starts in high speed and bypasses the speed switch when it does so. After motor gets up to speed, centrifugal switch changes over to speed select switch which determines speed as per your selection.

Old 01-18-15, 05:45 AM
T
I checked the two pin connector and it looked fine. It only agitates and spins fast. When I change the speed switch to ex slow/slow or slow/slow it does not change the agitate speed or spin speed.

Old 01-18-15, 08:49 AM
F
The motor switch must be stuck closed. Take the cover off the switch and examine the contacts. There are two sets of contacts. One is single pole single throw for the start winding, the other is double throw for speed select. A centrifugal mechanism on the motor shaft operates the lever that operates the two switches. Pull the switch away from the motor a bit and operate the lever manually to check operation of the switches.