Kenmore range element/switch problem

Old 01-20-15, 09:16 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Kenmore range element/switch problem

We have a kenmore 790.9661340a glass top range. The left front burner is a big one. The switch has a simmer select setting with associated light.

Tonight when turning on the burner with the switch the circuit breaker popped and the range lost power. Set the switch back to off and reset breaker. Turned burner back on and no hi heat. If I choose simmer select the burner gets pretty warm but no color. The simmer light on the switch would still light if the simmer button was pushed in.

Turned breaker off and popped the top, disconnected the two element connectors and tested ohms. It wasn't 1 so I think the element might be ok. I did not remove it to look at the coils. The number on the element is 316277700 3000/1400w 240v.

I suspect it is a problem with the switch. Unless someone has any better ideas I'll pull the oven out and test the switch. It may be obvious once I look at it if it is burned.

Am I on the right track?

TIA

Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-15, 10:26 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,114 Votes on 1,034 Posts
Elements bad..........

You are checking for continuity on the element. If your meter is showing 1 that means the element is open. When you connect a digital meter you should see the numbers count and you should get around 10-15 ohms. If the meter doesn't change..... the element is bad.

You can also check from each terminal to the metal element. There should be no continuity.... no meter change.... during this check.

That is a dual element. 3000 watts/high and 1400 watts/low.