washing machine leak

Old 01-21-15, 09:41 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
washing machine leak

Our washing machine began leaking. Notice it leaking out from underneath when it begins to fill. I'd like to investigate by looking inside but that'll probably require removing the back panel, which looks tricky to me. It's a KitchenAid model KAWS750LQ0. So any tips/advice how to get the panel off, and as well if anyone may know offhand whether this particular model may be a belt drive or direct drive would be appreciated. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-15, 10:38 AM
Here's a photo of the back:

And what's up with these clips/tabs? What's the trick for getting the back panel unclipped/removed away from these?

Old 01-21-15, 10:42 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Please hold on for an appliance expert.
DO NOT try to remove back panel. Most washers are accessed by removing plastic covers on sides of control panel. The screws will be revealed under those side covers. Control panel will pivot up once screws are removed.
Once control panel is pivoted upward, you will see clamps holding the entire front cabinet on.
Once those clamps are released, the entire cabinet will slide forward, revealing all the internal parts.

Old 01-21-15, 10:58 AM
Thanks Brian. I'll hold on for further advice before messing any further trying to remove the back panel. Now I'm looking closely at the plastic covers on the sides of the control panel, trying to figure out how they lift up from the front. Tried sliding a putty knife under to release any of those types of clips under there but this model doesn't seem to have those kind.

Old 01-21-15, 11:09 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 67 Posts
Plastic covers just pop off. If stuck stick a small screwdriver from back top and pop forward.
On console there are 2 plastic caps on end. They pop off and than there are 2 screws/ remove screws and pull and lift console. it will hinge up and back. Unplug lid switch. 2 gold colored clips take them off.
If leak is from front you most likely will need a water pump. 5 minute job with cabinet off, Be-careful as there will be a gallon or 2 of water in washer.
DO NOT TRY TO REMOVE BACK OF WASHER

Old 01-21-15, 11:18 AM
Ok pugsl. Managed to get the console removed. Then when I remove the two gold colored clips that will should allow the cabinet (except the back panel) to be removed? Tilted forward and removed probably?

Old 01-21-15, 11:34 AM
Okay got those gold clips unsnapped. Not sure how to proceed to get the cabinet off now.

Old 01-21-15, 11:37 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It will just slide forward.

Old 01-21-15, 11:52 AM
Okay got it slid forward. Thanks. Obvious leaking/dripping observed from where I'm pointing in this photo. The drain hose coming from the pump, a junction/joint between two hose sections there. Not sure why it would be leaking there, what caused it, what might be the fix. Any further comments welcome/appreciated.

Old 01-21-15, 12:00 PM
I was mistaken, there's no junction/joint there. It's all one hose. I removed that white plastic clip. I'll be looking at it closer, but there's regular constant dripping coming from what seems to be in between a few of thosethe accordian flexes, a crack in it apparently but not sure quite yet. Will keep ya'll informed. thanks again

Old 01-22-15, 08:08 AM
It turns out a small hole had worn through the plastic hose right on the outside of the convex flex where I'm pointing in the picture, at the point there where the hose was resting on that metal frame. For whatever reason the hose hadn't been secured with that white plastic clip down onto that hole in the frame that can also be seen in the picture. My guess is over time just vibration/rubbing at that point must've been enough to wear a hole in the hose there.

Old 01-23-15, 03:01 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sorry not answering traveling and got the flu. You will have to order the drain hose.

Old 01-23-15, 08:46 AM
You will have to order the drain hose.
I checked around various online sources and it was gonna be 18 bucks (cheapest) plus shipping. No store locally stocked one either. Didn't want to shell out that much to fix it at this time. The hole was so small I decided to patch it with some sealant stuff and will just keep an eye on it. If the patch doesn't hold and the leak should occur again it's not gonna hurt anything, just make a small puddle on the floor, easily noticeable. I discovered that particular hose/part fits quite a lot of the Whirlpool and subsidiary appliance brand washer models (KitchenAid, Maytag, Amana, Roper). There's a decent chance I'll be able to come across a junked washer around here and could salvage the hose from it, so will be keeping my eye out for such. I took the leaking hose off, cleaned and dried good around the hole/damage, and repaired it (well hopefully repaired) with Amazing Goop. Never know, it might work. Then again, might not. I figured it's worth trying. It was just a small hole in a plastic hose. At least if I need to go in again I know how to get the cabinet off now (thanks to the helpful responses here), and the part is easily accessible/replaceable. Amazon.com: Amazing Goop All-Purpose Household Goop, 3.7-Ounce Tube #130012: Home Improvement

Old 01-23-15, 08:48 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
because the tub moves around a lot I don't expect patch to hold up.Let us know how it goes.

Old 01-23-15, 09:40 AM
Well the hose is now secured with that white clip into the frame, not really connected to the tub. As I mentioned that clip was disconnected when I first looked, and so the hose had been touching (and thus rubbing against the frame with vibration apparently) directly on the frame or whatever you call it. I'm being optimistic about the patch holding up. It's just a small, barely even visible, crack-like hole that developed in the plastic hose. Kind of a freak occurance if you ask me, and maybe the goop will fix it. The Goop is, after all, Amazing. Go ahead, laugh. I'll let you know how it goes, if I remember. And thanks again.

I'm keeping my eye out for a used hose I can salvage from a junked machine, just in case the goop doesn't end up being as amazing as I hope.