Sears electric stove wiring problems

Old 01-23-15, 06:15 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sears electric stove wiring problems

I was having trouble with a burner on my 60 year old stove, so I lifted the lid.

Ugh. Sixty years' worth of grease and grime and corroded wire, and some electric tape thrown in for good measure.

As I lifted the lid, a wire that runs from the bottom of the "bad" burner's infinity switch to the burner was dangling; the clip is pretty corroded. I am guessing it's supposed to be the red wire - it is in fact, black, but it's also been replaced (as evidenced by its twisted and taped connection to the burner).

Name:  20150123_170554.jpg
Views: 483
Size:  25.1 KB

As you'll also note, the tab that it clips onto is also pretty corroded. In fact, it moves pretty freely, so I'm guessing that may be why I'm having problems with that burner.

But that's not the issue.

What's strange is, that wire - even when unattached - is live. All the other wiring going from the switches to the burners are dead until I turn the knobs; this one is always hot. Here's how it runs up to the burner, by the way.
Name:  Path.jpg
Views: 469
Size:  28.1 KB

But that's not the issue.

Now, after mucking about, the red power light does not come on with the burners.

But that's not really the issue.

At the back of the stove, where the wires come out of the block that the main feed runs into, there are three wires that enter - a green one, a black one, and a red one.

The green one goes to the center of the underside of the stovetop, where it attaches to the greens that go to the other four burners.

The black goes onto a tab on the bottom of the very back-most switch.

The red one is just sitting there. Unattached. (And that's the problem).

It's not very long, so it can't attach to anything too far away. I tried attaching it to where the "first" red clips onto that back switch, and it made no difference in the operation of the oven - although it did make the power light come on (even though no burners were heating).

Name:  Red Wire.jpg
Views: 1003
Size:  45.1 KB

I have absolutely no idea what to do here.

Any help will be help.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-15, 08:07 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,112 Votes on 1,032 Posts
I'm sort of following you. If you can post the model number I can grab the schematic for your unit.

Old 01-24-15, 12:14 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The only marking still legible is "Sears Classic". Where would the model number be, typically? (Don't say the back)

Old 01-24-15, 09:46 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,112 Votes on 1,032 Posts
There usually would be a schematic on the back or on an access plate on the back.

The appliance ID plate is in the upper left corner when you open the oven or under the stove top or in the upper left hand corner if you have a pullout drawer.