Over the range microwave

Old 01-25-15, 11:29 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Over the range microwave

So I am finally planning on getting some kind of exhaust system to get rid off the smell when cooking, specially since we cook a lot of indian food that make the whole house smell like curry lol. Since they have over the range microwave. Are the exhaust that comes with the microwave as good as the range hood by itself? I will be having the vent out right back of the exhaust system. Also which brand and specific model is good? if I do get it with the microwave I would like be fine with 1.6-1.9Cu ft.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-15, 12:35 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,113 Votes on 1,033 Posts
Are the exhaust that comes with the microwave as good as the range hood by itself?
No.... in my opinion the stand alone vent hoods are superior. The problem is you have to weigh your options. Do you need to use one combined appliance or do you have the room for a separate microwave ?

I'm serious in my kitchen. I have a five speed exhaust hood directly vented outside and a countertop microwave.

I don't have any recommendations for a combined unit but you can check out this review.
Over-the-Range Microwave Review 2015 | Best Built in Microwaves - TopTenREVIEWS

Old 01-26-15, 04:45 AM
I'll agree with PJ. The microwave vent doesn't come close to a stand alone vent.
There's just something about the way the air is channeled through the back of unit that makes them loud and inefficient.

Not to mention if your electric outlet above range is on a lighting circuit, you won't have enough electricity to power a microwave. You may want to check that before buying a microwave hood.

Old 01-26-15, 04:50 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 624 Votes on 577 Posts
Over the range microwaves are a jack of all trades and master of none. They tend to be more expensive. The interior space of the microwave tends to be smaller than a freestanding microwave. And worst of all their vent performance is abysmal.

Almost all microwave vent combos have a weak exhaust fan. Also, since the entire unit does not protrude as far as the stove below the inlet for the vent is located to the rear, far away from the front burners and often still to the rear of the back burners. I have also seen the "brushed stainless" finish of them curled and peeling off as the heat of the burners below melts the adhesive holding the decorative veneer in place melts.

Old 01-26-15, 08:44 AM
S
Those were my concerns as well and now with you guys giving me the same answers. I too want to get a range hood separately. But would it be possible still put a microwave top of the range hood safely? I do need the extra space. I am going to have one of my friend come and check the power of the connection at that place.

Old 01-26-15, 08:58 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 624 Votes on 577 Posts
You might put a microwave above a vent hood if you can duct the exhaust directly out the back of the hood. Otherwise the ducting goes straight up. There is still room in cabinets above for storage but not enough for a microwave. Then there is the problem of the microwave's height. I think it would be way too high to be useful unless you are an ex pro basketball player.

Old 01-26-15, 01:19 PM
If you need space badly, I would just go for the Microwave Hood Combo.
They don't vent the best, but they do vent. I've had a Kenmore Elite Microwave/Convection Combo for about 7 years and I like it. Blower is noisy but they all are.

Old 01-26-15, 03:59 PM
S
Ok, We can never have exactly what we want smh. So for a hood range. Any specific model/brand or where should I purchase it from?

Old 01-26-15, 04:17 PM
A standard range hood? Braun Allure Quiet Series. There are many specific models. Overall, they look nice, have nice lighting, and will definitely pull some air.

Old 01-26-15, 07:58 PM
S
Do you know if nutone is same quality as broan? looks like broan owns nutone

Old 01-26-15, 08:24 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,113 Votes on 1,033 Posts
It is now Broan/Nutone. Many of the models that are separately branded are the same units with very similar part numbers.

Something in the Nutone Allure III would be nice.
Next step down would be the Allure II line.

Old 01-28-15, 06:06 PM
S
So I did alot of reading and found the Broan QS230SS Allure II 30-Inch Under-Cabinet Range Hood, Stainless Steel, is the best option. what you guys think? I also found it cheaper online at wayfair for 247 free shipping and no tax, while lowes sells it for 320 plus tax. Any idea where other I can find a good price with a company with good review. I really did not want to order online but return is a hassle if something doesnt work out. smh

Old 01-28-15, 06:58 PM
I've installed many of these, pretty nice. I don't know about price.
They are difficult to install. The unit is taller than most, has a bottom cover. The mounting screws are hard to get to. Post back if you need some tips on installing.
I wouldn't let the difficulty of install guide your decision, this is about as good as it gets without going into really high end hoods.