Maytag washer LA712: spin ok, no agitation

Old 01-28-15, 05:49 PM
X
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Maytag washer LA712: spin ok, no agitation

80's Maytag top loader would not agitate. So I replaced the drive belt---it was due. Still will not agitate. The belt will spin on the motor pulley. I tipped the machine back, and I can rotate the transmission pulley with my hand and going one way spin, and the other way agitate. No problem. When I ask the motor to do it, it will spin at the motor pulley in wash mode. If I add tension to the belt by putting pressure on the sled, I can barely get the agitator to turn, but mostly the motor will stall first. So what am I missing? TIA!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-15, 04:50 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 67 Posts
Sounds like the motor going bad. Very unusual but it happens. Is this a 1 or 2 belt machine? Also check the water pump for any binding I just remembered that they had a problem with that.

Old 01-29-15, 05:18 AM
X
This is a 2 belt setup. In fact I removed the pump belt for troubleshooting.

Old 01-29-15, 06:21 AM
F
Check the motor mount. This is a 2 piece affair with glides and springs. This is what develops proper tension on the belt. If it's gunked up or a spring is weak or broken, it won't work properly. Take it apart and give it a good cleaning and inspection.

Old 02-07-15, 08:47 AM
X
I have inspected the motor sled and it's not the issue. What I did notice by turning the agitator pulley by hand is that in the agitate direction, the drum will also spin. I think the extra force needed to move both is more than what the motor can turn. So is there a clutch in the lower pulley assembly that is not releasing?

Old 02-08-15, 05:43 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 67 Posts
You have the one with the medal clutch. I have never worked on that one but it sounds like the clutch is sticking. here is a diagram of clutch.
CLUTCH, BRAKE & BELTS Diagram & Parts List for Model LA712 Maytag-Parts All-Products-Parts | SearsPartsDirect
One of the other guys may have worked on that one. That unit must be close to 20 years old.
One of the good oldies.

Old 02-09-15, 09:34 AM
X
Yes I think that is what is bad. Looks like a PIA to replace, so time to replace it with a front loader. And BTW, the machine just turned 30! In all those years, the only repair was to the water solenoid.