Whirlpool gas dryer not heating enough

Old 02-14-15, 01:07 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Whirlpool gas dryer not heating enough

My dryer (Model LG7681XSW2) is not heating up enough and it takes a couple of hours to dry clothes. Outside temp is 65F.

With the dryer set to timed cycle and the temperature control set to Maximum, the gas burner cycles on and off normally. When the flame is is on it is blue and extends back about 6 inches. About 1/2 inch at the edge of a heat shield in front of and above the flame is red hot. When I put my hand down into the filter area the air is blowing but is only lukewarm.

Air coming out of the exhaust (5 feet from the back of the dryer) is barely warm. I checked for lint and other obstructions but found nothing inside the dryer plumbing and in the exhaust tube to the outside.

I also replaced both gas solenoids.

Can you suggest anything else I can check?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-15, 01:59 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Here's a list of possible things that could be wrong.
Whirlpool Dryer Takes Too Long - Model LG7681XSW2 - Repair Parts - RepairClinic.com

Old 02-14-15, 02:38 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 27 Votes on 26 Posts
Usual reasons for long dry times is (most common) clogged vent tube to outside. Take vent off back of dryer and feel air flow, reconnect vent and go outside and feel air flow should be about same. There should be a strong air flow from bACK OF DRYER IF NOT LET US KNOW AND WE CAN GO FROM THERE. Sorry dam cap lock key.

Old 03-11-15, 04:36 PM
The exhaust vent is a solid 3-foot-long 4-inch pipe leading to the outside. It is free from lint.

I'm going to replace the gas feed line because it is pretty old and may be kinked. It takes 1.5 hours for the top of the dryer to get warm to the touch, seems like when new it took about 20 minutes for it to get hot.

Old 03-11-15, 06:48 PM
Group Moderator
Received 474 Votes on 444 Posts
Do you get a LOT of air blowing out of the exhaust ?

It could possibly a problem gas line but you mentioned the gas burner cycles, which it should, but the air should be pretty warm/hot before it cycles off. There are a couple of sensors that monitor the heated air and control the burner.

Old 03-11-15, 09:02 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Need to check temps at the vent where air leaves dryer. Temp should get to around 160 + - 10 0. Will cycle down and tha return to temp. Cycling should take 2 to 5 minutes. Let us know what you find out.

Last edited by pugsl; 03-15-15 at 01:08 PM.
Old 03-14-15, 06:32 PM
PJmax:

It seems that I get the same amount out of the exhaust that I've always gotten (over the last 40-so years). The air is only slightly warm, and that after an hour of running.

Pugsl:

Have not checked air at dryer outlet, only 3 feet away at vent outlet. There the temperature is nowhere near 160f. More like 70f. Won't be able to check the dryer outlet until the room is rearranged so I can pull the dryer away from the wall (wife's orders, you know-she's wanting a new dryer).

Old 03-15-15, 01:10 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
70 degrees does not sound like heating at all. Room temp. Need to know if fire starts at all.

Old 03-17-15, 01:55 PM
Yes, the burner does ignite, but the flame is blue and only extends about 4 inches. The shield (or baffle) just ahead of the flame is only very slightly red. I suspect either the burner or the gas feed line but since the burner is a non-refundable item I'd just as soon be really sure that it does need replacing.

Old 03-17-15, 08:36 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Flame sounds like it's ok. Flame should light for a couple of minutes than cycle. Realy need temp readings to help. When you can get to back feel air flow without vent on than connect it and feel air flow outside. Should be same. I harp on vent because most dryer problems start there.