Oven not hot enough

Old 02-28-15, 09:33 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Oven not hot enough

We have a Frigidaire (Electrolux) Model no. FEF366ECD, that never gets to the temperature we set it to. We have actually just been dealing with it for about a year now, we bought an oven thermometer and just set the oven temp up higher and get it to the temps we want using the thermometer in the oven. But today I decided to test a few things.

First thing I did was pull the temperature sensor and test the resistance. It measures 1078 ohms, just about perfect from what I read. So it's not the sensor. Then I tested the heating elements. The bottom element seems to work fine, and the top element comes on when using the broil function. (Although it does not get hot during preheat, not sure if this model is supposed to or not.) I haven't yet tested the resistance on either of the heating elements, or the voltage on the leads to them because they seem to be functioning.

So then I did some simple readings on the temp differences. To get these numbers I started with 350, recorded the temp it's actually at when preheat says it's done, then let it sit for 5 and 10 minutes more, recording the temp at each time. Here are the results:

Set Temp - Actual
350 - 283
@5min - 285
@10min - 285

400 - 298
@5min - 325
@10min - 345 (never went higher than this)

500 - 400
@5min - 405 (never went higher than this)

550 - 455
@5min - 455
@10min - 460 (never got much higher than this)

So it seems that we can't get it to go much higher than ~460 degrees. Luckily for us, we rarely if ever need it higher than that, mostly for pizza or whatever.

I'm not seeing any error codes or anything, (unless they don't display until you do something special, which thing I don't know) it just takes an abnormally long time to heat up, and never ever reaches the temps we set it to.

I suppose it could be the electronic oven control, but they're about $130, so at that price point, we'd be tempted just to get a new oven. But I thought I'd see if any of you all had any ideas of what else it might be.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-15, 12:21 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,110 Votes on 1,030 Posts
It would appear that the sensor is ok but they can break down when heated. You may have a problem or poor connection between the sensor and the control board. It could be at the sensor or at the control board.

What I'll do is to attach my meter to the harness at the control board and watch the actual resistance coming back from the sensor. I've left the chart below for you for the approx values that should be measured.

Name:  temp_values.JPG
Views: 692
Size:  49.4 KB

Old 02-28-15, 06:18 PM
P
Thanks, I'll try to give that a crack as soon as I can get around to pulling it out and yanking the back off again. So if there is a problem at the side of the control board, would that mean that buying a new sensor might not even fix it? If the problem is on the control board side of the connection? Either way I'll try that and get back to you. Thanks for the reply.

Old 02-28-15, 07:12 PM
Group Moderator
I would certainly try a sensor first. I usually carry a spare or two with me for just that reason.

Old 02-28-15, 07:29 PM
P
Yes that is definitely the cheapest thing to do if I'm gonna throw parts at it. Amazon has it for like $22.

Old 03-01-15, 06:15 AM
P
Well I couldn't really find a spot to test it while the oven was on. The leads on my tester couldn't get a good connection through the ends of of connectors while it was still connected. Is there something special you do to test it while the oven is on? I think I might just order a new one and give it a shot.

Old 03-01-15, 07:32 AM
Group Moderator
I use the Fluke TL-40 test lead set. The probes are micro small in diameter and are adjustable in length. They fit right into most connectors so that I can test while the plugs are connected.

Fluke TL40 Retractable Tip Test Lead Set

Old 03-01-15, 07:50 AM
P
Ha thanks I'll have to remember those for the future. That would make a lot of testing much easier. For now I think I'll just buy a new sensor and try it out.

Old 03-05-15, 03:49 PM
P
Success! I was sure the new sensor would not work and was about to buy a new EOC. But I put the new sensor in and it worked. It went right to 350. It couldn't quite get all the way to 550, only got to about 515 or so when it said it was at 550, but I'm happy with this now. It may just be the oven can't get that hot. Or maybe if I let it run bit longer it might have got there. Thanks for your help.

Old 03-05-15, 05:52 PM
Group Moderator
Now.... since I saved you money in not replacing the control board..... you can buy your test leads.

Old 03-05-15, 06:22 PM
P
I like the cut of your jib.