Sewer smell from new washing machine?

Old 03-12-15, 05:27 AM
M
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Sewer smell from new washing machine?

We had a smell issue with our last LG washing machine, now with a brand new LG top load machine we are getting the same smell sometimes when we open the top cover, I am thinking it may be the drain line but since the machine's outlet is connected above the trap under the sink and no smell coming from the drain though the sink that this has to be with the dryer itself?

Old 03-12-15, 05:47 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
Are you using a dishwasher drain fitting under the sink for your washing machine? How exactly is the plumbing arranged and the washer connected?

This photo shows an incorrect way to do it.

Sewer gas smell really only comes from one place. Since your new machine is probably connected in the same manner as your old one I'm assuming the problem is somewhere with your drain plumbing or possibly a vent problem. Can you post a picture of the drain lines under your sink?

Old 03-12-15, 06:44 AM
M
Name:  untitled.jpg
Views: 4473
Size:  30.1 KBI will try to take a pic but your first pic showing the correct way to attach the outlet is how ours is connected, the machine's outlet is connect to the pipe coming down from the sink so before the trap.

Using your pic, the red line shows where mine is connected

Old 03-12-15, 05:34 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
You are talking about a clothes washer not dishwasher? Google washer odors and you will find pages on it. Aafresh seem to work pretty good, also thereare other products for this. Many home remendys also.

Old 03-12-15, 05:49 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
You clothes washer needs to connect to a standpipe drain or into a sink that is higher then the fill level in the machine. You may have too much water being left behind in your clothes washer.

Old 03-12-15, 05:49 PM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
I'm confused,
Assuming this is a cloths washer, if you connect after the trap, then you need to be sure there is another trap equivalent going back to the washing machine. Not sure of the codes, but my washer is dumping into a pipe that goes through a trap to the sewer line with a vent.

Bud

Old 03-12-15, 05:50 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
We have to use the Afresh product, too. It isn't from the drain, but just an inherent smell that emanates from the washer. You'll find the instructions in the book that came with the washer. It is normal.

Old 03-13-15, 01:30 PM
M
Yes the manual does say to use the Afresh product, why I am surprised is the our old machine which we've had for many years only had a smell problem last year and with the exact same connection above the trap.

Old 03-13-15, 01:43 PM
K
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Can you describe the smell? Is it a musty/moldy smell, or a sewage gas smell?

Old 03-13-15, 03:40 PM
M
I could be a combination of both, not sure but smells like sewer to me.

Old 03-13-15, 05:26 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
I would highly recommend a proper standpipe.

Old 03-13-15, 07:15 PM
K
Have you had any other plumbing related work done in the house in the last year or so? Maybe something that was done somewhere else in the system has affected your washing machine setup.

Sewer gases due to a dry trap are usually pretty easy to identify, but depending how your home is plumbed, and where everything is in relation to your vent stack, the smell could come and go, or not be really strong.

The only way I can think of to be absolutely sure where the smell is coming from would be to disconnect the washer where the drain is currently connected, and take a good whiff from the pipe. If after it is disconnected, you dont smell anything from the pipe, but you do from the inside of the washer, you will know for sure it is the washer, in which case Afresh or another cleaning product is the solution. EIther way, you should have a stand pipe installed so the washer will drain properly.

Old 03-15-15, 05:08 AM
M
I will work on the cleaner, I am not understanding what you guys mean by a "standpipe"? Can anyone post a pic here of one please?

Old 03-15-15, 06:40 AM
K
This is how it should be hooked up. If it is going under the sink like a dishwasher, it is not hooked up right

[ATTACH=CONFIG]47997[/ATTACH]

Attached Images  
Old 03-17-15, 03:46 AM
M
Thanks, will ask my plumbing guy to look into it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: