Has to be an issue with my non frozen ice cream

Old 03-23-15, 05:21 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Has to be an issue with my non frozen ice cream

Ok, well, I found something today. This used fridge has an icemaker, but the arm is up, the bin and screw feed mechanism are gone, and no water hookup.

Well, I was putting some stuff on the top shelf and my hand brushed against the bottom of the actual ice maker. It was WARM! I know this must be what slightly warms the cubes so they get pushed out, but how do I turn it off? Can't be part of the normal defrost cycle can it?

There's a plug from the ice maker to a socket in the freezer wall. I assume that needs to be pulled out? Do I just pry it out? Didn't seem to move just pulling on it. Model Hotpoint GSX24GR

EDIT...Just went back to give it another try at pulling the plug or maybe removing the whole thing to get more freezer space, now it's cold! I have no clue how these work.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-15, 05:27 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,112 Votes on 1,032 Posts
The harvest thermostat is frozen (shorted) shut.

It's a four pin power plug. It will unsnap from the freezer mounted receptacle. Use a little something to pry on it.

Name:  maytag-round-plug-ice-maker.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  38.8 KB

Old 03-23-15, 05:30 PM
Super Moderator
Cool...did you see my edit? It's cold again. Either way, it's outa there.

Old 03-23-15, 07:36 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,112 Votes on 1,032 Posts
Nah... didn't see your edit. All I know is that YOUR ice cream is not to be messed with.

Just a little aside..... the harvesting thermostat measures the temperature of the ice mold. When the mold fills with water it's warm and takes XX minutes to reach approx. 10 degrees when the thermostat starts the harvest. If the mold doesn't get filled with water it chills quickly causing the thermostat to prematurely start the harvest.

Old 03-23-15, 07:58 PM
Super Moderator
Ok, well, it's in the trash. Pretty easy to remove actually, though the plug was kind of a bear. Glad I asked, was getting ready to try and twist it.

Now I just have to get a new thermometer. I could swear what I had read to -10F...but I'm an idiot. It only goes to 0F and is pegged at that. $5 at Wally World.