Whirlpool side by side sizzling dripping

Old 03-26-15, 11:06 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Whirlpool side by side sizzling dripping

I left my freezer door cracked open by accident for 30-40 minutes,I opened it to get something and heard a dripping sizzling sound,like water dripped on a hot stove. I shut the door and now it's refreezing fine. I'm just curious what causes this noise? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-15, 11:26 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Most (all?) freezers have a drain that leads to a pan on top of the compressor. This is where the water goes when it goes through a defrost cycle. So, the door was open, some stuff frosted up and then it melted off and went to that pan. Perfectly normal and happens all the time, maybe just not enough moisture to notice.

Old 03-27-15, 12:44 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank You, I'll have to check my pan and drain it. Again,Thanks

Old 03-27-15, 12:46 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
You won't have to drain it..it evaporates off from the heat of the compressor. Goes on 2 times a day or more. If it's not doing it now, it's fine.

I wasn't clear on the heat and evap thing, sorry.

Old 03-27-15, 07:44 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 622 Votes on 575 Posts
Frost free freezers and fridges go through a automatic defrost cycle. When it's defrosting the compressor is turned off and a heater under the coil turns on to melt away any accumulated frost. As the frost melts it drips on the heater making a sizzling sound and sometimes you can even see steam coming out of the vents inside the freezer. Then the melted drains down a tube to the catch pan underneath the appliance to be evaporated away. Some models have the pan mounted directly to the top of the compressor so it's heat heats the water to make it evaporate faster.

Under normal circumstances the natural evaporation is enough to get rid of the water. If you left the door open it's possible that the fridge made more frost than can be evaporated away before the tray over fills. So, just shine a flashlight under the fridge and clean up any water that may spill. Within a day or two the fridge will be back to normal and the tray should evaporate away the water faster than it can accumulate.