Amana clothes washing machine

Old 04-06-15, 06:26 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Amana clothes washing machine

NTW 4700YQ1

Does anyone have any experience with these washers?

It has a locking lid, so it fills with water, the lid tries to lock 5-6 times, then it just quits.
I'm looking for a reset button on the machine or something. I pulled the plug on it the other night and left it for a day, but come back and it still does the same thing.

Couple of days ago I was washing things, it was off balance and banging. Since you can't open the lid, I lifted it and pushed the lever back to open it. Ever since its been jacked up.

I really can't stand this washer, ever since I got it!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-15, 08:04 AM
Took apart the door lock switch, I think it broke when I had to open the washer manually since it was banging itself to oblivion....

Old 04-06-15, 08:18 AM
You will have to replace the lid lock. There is a piece inside that is designed to break and render the device inoperable in the event that it is forced open. These washers are junk. For further troubleshooting, there is a tech sheet inside the cabinet that tells you how to get into service mode and check for error codes and to perform various testing. If you want a good washer, spend $800 and get a Speed Queen, the only decent models left on the market.

Old 04-06-15, 01:09 PM
I went and got a new switch, haven't installed yet.
Agreed it is junk, takes forever to run a cycle, I can't stand that you're not allowed to open it if there is a problem...Example of what I experience just now.

Old 04-06-15, 04:13 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 19 Votes on 18 Posts
Almost all new washers lock now, Think it is some sort of safety regulation. Poeple are not allowed to be stupid.

Old 04-06-15, 07:30 PM
These VMW models do not use a brake to stop the basket from spinning which is why they have a lid lock. It takes a while for the basket to come to a stop. Speed Queen models use a brake and do not have lid locks.

Old 04-06-15, 09:16 PM
So sad...If you are getting taken out by your washing machine, you've got bigger issues.
Everyone who uses this at my house, family or friend or 2 always notice that it takes FOR-EVER to run the complete cycle.
Lid lock is just a PITA.