Whirlpool washer agitates for 15 seconds, stops for 10 minutes, repeat...

Old 04-08-15, 10:21 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Whirlpool washer agitates for 15 seconds, stops for 10 minutes, repeat...

Model Number: GSQ9340EQ0
Brand: Whirlpool

My Whirlpool GSQ9340EQ0 washing machine developed a problem yesterday. On starting the wash cycle, it fills up fine. Then it starts agitating. It agitates for 10-15 seconds and then stops for 10 minutes or so. This pattern repeats itself for hours. And finally the wash cycle is completed after 5 hours or so.

Any help on where to start to troubleshoot?

TIA!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-15, 10:45 AM
Sounds like the motor thermal overload is tripping. It self resets after it cools down. This could be due to the motor start winding switch being stuck closed or more than one motor run winding being energized at the same time. Need to see a photo of your wiring diagram, can't find that one. Open control panel for access to the wiring diagram. Remove two screws, one on each end of control panel, rotate panel back. Need clear hi-res photo of wiring diagram and timer chart.

Old 04-08-15, 03:09 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 19 Votes on 18 Posts
looks like you have a speed control knob,usually next to timer make sure tat it is set in one speed, Have seen them set between speeds and will cause all sorts of problems.

Old 04-08-15, 03:53 PM
There is no speed control knob on this washer.

Old 04-08-15, 04:17 PM
Fairbank56,

The file size limit for upload is 50KB. The hi-res pictures I took of the wiring diagram are few MB. Anyway to get the files to you, other than by uploading?

Old 04-08-15, 04:21 PM
So it went through the entire cycle in about 7 hours – through the wash cycle, through the rinse cycle and through the spin cycle. Between the short periods of activity, there is complete silence. During the periods of activity all sounds are normal. Very consistent stop and go pattern.

Old 04-08-15, 04:32 PM
I already looked at the parts diagrams and didn't see a speed switch which means on your model, speed (3 speed motor) is selected directly by the timer. Upload your file to someplace like photobucket.com and provide the link here. Sure sounds like the motor overload tripping. If I can see the wiring diagram and timer chart, I can help narrow down the problem.

Old 04-08-15, 04:54 PM
Old 04-08-15, 04:57 PM
I also noticed a connector turned brown due to heat. Here are the two pictures (overall view and zoomed):

Connector - Heat Damage 1 Photo by xtvium | Photobucket

Connector - Heat Damage 2 Photo by xtvium | Photobucket

Is this something I should be concerned about. I don't think this is related to the problem on hand though as I faintly recall seeing this last year. I just forgot about it.

Old 04-08-15, 06:25 PM
Yes, that burned connector could very well be the problem. That is the power cord input connection and that needs to be fixed regardless if it is the cause of the problem or not. Best to just cut and splice the wires and eliminate the connector. Hopefully, you have enough slack in the wires to do that, otherwise you will need to splice in pieces of wire. When you strip the wires to do the splicing, make sure the exposed wire strands after stripping are clean copper. If they are blackened, you need to cut back more until you find good wire strands. You can use crimp butt connectors to do the splicing. If the problem still exists after fixing this connection, unplug the relay inside the control panel. It's the square box with the clear plastic cover on it. Run the washer in heavy duty cycle and see if problem still exits with relay disconnected. Report back with results.