Kenmore washer making loud clicking sound during agitation

Old 04-17-15, 02:19 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Kenmore washer making loud clicking sound during agitation

The other night I replaced the coupler clutch because the spin was not working on our washer. After replacing all the parts, I filled the tub and put into spin cycle. All seemed to work fine and the machine spun out dry. However, when my daughter loaded the machine with clothes, a very loud clicking sound started coming out from what seems like the bottom of the washer. The agitator does not seem to be engaging properly though, when I look at the agitator dogs, it appears they are engaging properly. Could I have reassembled something incorrectly underneath? I did not take apart the motor from the transmission when I repaired as there was no need to do that. Anyone have a clue?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-15, 03:40 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 19 Votes on 18 Posts
!st what did you replace Coupler or clutch 2 different parts, Without hearing noise have no idea. Agitator if dogs bad the top part will turn both directions by hand if dogs good will only turn one way.

Old 04-19-15, 05:00 AM
!st what did you replace Coupler or clutch 2 different parts
He did not remove the motor from the transmission, therefore it couldn't have been the coupler.

Post video to youtube so we can hear it.

Old 04-19-15, 03:06 PM
Sorry for the confusion. It was not spinning at all, so I replaced the clutch. It is now spinning properly. More information now as I worked on it again yesterday to see if I did something wrong. The agitator dogs are fine. They are engaging and not slipping. The comment above is also correct, I did not remove the motor from the transmission. I looked at the coupler and it seems to be fine. No slippage seen.

After reassembling, I turned it back on and realized that the noise does not happen when put on the Heavy Duty cycle. All other cycles not on fast agitation make the noise. I have attached a short video clip.

http://youtu.be/G1fehOs5w4E

Old 04-19-15, 04:56 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
There is a plastic tab that points down from that goes into clutch, it must be away from clutch springs. If you have old clutch look at clutch and spring should be away from plastic pin. Only thing I can think of for your noise. Fairbanks may have a better idea.

Old 04-19-15, 06:22 PM
That is clearly the sound of the motor cutting on and off repeatedly. What is the model number of the washer? On some models with 3 speed motor, there is an extra two pin connector at the motor in addition to the larger multipin connector. That extra connection is for the slow and extra slow motor windings. You may have forgotten to plug it back together. This problem could also be caused by a faulty speed switch or timer. Need your model number.

Old 04-19-15, 10:11 PM
Model number is 110.28882790

The washer is quite old. That would be fantastic if I just forgot to plug something back in!

Old 04-19-15, 10:28 PM
Thanks Pugsl. I was careful to make sure I positioned the break cam tab away from the clutch spring. I saw on a youtube video to do that. I was wondering if I had incorrectly reassembled though when I heard the noise, so when I took it all apart again, I checked and it was positioned properly.

Old 04-20-15, 04:12 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I think Fairbanks is right, you can lean washer back against wall and look under it to see if wires loose. wiggle wires plugged into motor to be sure they are seated. Fairbanks is very good on this stuff.

Old 04-20-15, 08:58 AM
Yes, that model has the extra 2 wire connection so check that first. Otherwise, it's most likely a faulty speed select switch.

Whirlpool 3406241 Switch-Cycle - AppliancePartsPros.com

Old 04-20-15, 09:15 PM
You guys Rock! Thanks so much! I had disconnected the other 2 wire connector and twisted it back out of the way.......out of the way enough that I did not see it. Reconnected and it is working great! Thanks VERY much. The mountains of laundry can now be completed!