Kenmore 80 series washer will not spin and I think I've tried it all....

Old 04-22-15, 12:26 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Kenmore 80 series washer will not spin and I think I've tried it all....

My sister-in-law's washing machine will not spin. I can hear the pump come on and drain though. I spent a bit of time researching and watching repair videos on the common causes of this problem and assumed it must have been the coupler. I looked underneath, inspected it, and could see it was intact and rotating the drive shaft. I then dropped everything down and checked the clutch. Nope. The brake is firm and in good shape. I then separated the trans from the motor just to double check the coupler again. Still perfect. I have no idea what else to do.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-15, 12:44 PM
Run the machine in spin with the cabinet off and lid switch bypassed. Observe the clutch hub on top of the transmission. During spin, if the clutch hub is not spinning, the transmission is faulty (assuming the motor is driving the transmission input shaft as you said). If it is spinning, look up into the brake hub and see if the basket drive is spinning. If not then either the clutch is slipping or the brake cam driver is broken or the brakes are stuck. If the basket drive is spinning but basket is not, then the tub drive block is bad.

Old 04-22-15, 03:56 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 21 Votes on 20 Posts
look inside cabinet for a streak of oil about 6 inches up, If there the top seal of gearcase is leaking and you need a seal and clutch.

Old 08-25-15, 07:03 PM
Kenmore series 80 not spinning

I replaced the water pump,coupler and clutch. No oil underneath. Don't know what else to do. It is hit or miss with the spin.

Old 08-26-15, 01:18 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 21 Votes on 20 Posts
Something under basket or gearcase not coming out of neutral