kenmore 80 grinding sound during spin

Old 04-23-15, 07:53 PM
Unhappy kenmore 80 grinding sound during spin

i have a kenmore model 110.27822790 washer that started making loud noise during the spin cycle. it seems to agitate just fine. i checked the coupler and clutch. i also removed the gear case and ran it manually in both directions with a power drill. nice and smooth. any other suggestions? heres a video of my problem .. https://youtu.be/IFlaS3V0WbU

Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-15, 07:58 PM
Old 04-23-15, 09:09 PM
It sounds to me like some of the shipping straps haven't been removed or something has fallen against the tub.

Old 04-24-15, 01:39 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Different noise than usual, Try unclipping water pump from motor, leave hoses connected but pull off motor shaft. run in spin and see if noise stops. Possible something in pump, Usually will make a whine noise but something hard may have got in there. If not there I would say gearcase.

Old 04-24-15, 05:56 AM
Still grinding

Thanks for the quick responses... I removed the pump from the motor shaft and there was no change. The noise is not present in the agitate mode. (i can put a video of that up later today). Is there something the tub could be rubbing on ? Also, I previously removed the motor and gearcase assembly from the unit and set in on the floor - ran motor and there was no noise. Really appreciate the help - as I'm really not excited about needing to purchase a new $900 washer.

Old 04-24-15, 07:15 AM
That's a faulty transmission. The agitate gear is not completely disengaging during spin. You can tear the transmission down and replace the agitate cam or replace the transmission. Since it's about 18 years old, you might want to just replace it, the transmission that is, not the washer.

http://www.appliancepartspros.com/wh...ap3096209.html

Old 04-24-15, 08:57 AM
Agitate Cam

Now that you mention that I did notice the agitate shaft was moving slightly while I was manually rotating the transmission with my drill to simulate spin mode. Thanks for all the help -- looks like I'm getting closer to saving $900.

Old 04-24-15, 09:33 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Google whirlpool gearcase rebuild many videos on rebuild. Not a hard job.

Old 05-01-15, 12:46 PM
Ok -- ended up ordering a new gearcase. I'll install it early next week and post results. While I'm waiting for the part I decided to inspect the only part left - the drum/brake unit.

Old 05-02-15, 02:41 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If you are talking about the silver drum on top of gearcase that is the clutch. If oil in it needs to be cleaned or replaced.

Old 05-05-15, 05:23 PM
Working or should I say, Washing again!!

Quick update --- I ordered a new gearcase and while waiting for it to arrive I decided to pull apart the old one to see if it could be repaired. The agitator cam was suspect as it was moving slightly during my manual spin with the drill. I decided to just install the new one and everything worked great!. Super quiet and no more grinding noises and no more complaints about needed to bring the laundry to a coin operated place. Thanks for all your help.. much appreciated.

Old 05-06-15, 01:52 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Thanks for the update, That washer good for many years. May have a cheap repair later but still better than the new ones.