Beam central vac unit keeps shutting off.

Old 05-04-15, 02:54 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Beam central vac unit keeps shutting off.

We have a Beam central vacuum unit....SC375A. It is about 8 years old but has a10 yr warranty on parts. About 6-8 months ago, it would repeatedly trip the small breaker that is part of the vac unit. We would have to let it sit for about 10 min and then reset the minibreaker. Then it would trip after only a minute or 2. I had a serviceman come, and he replaced both the motor and circuitboard. The parts were free, but he charged $125 for a service call.
It is now doing the same exact thing. He listened to the motor over the phone and didn't think it sounded abnormal. He is willing to reorder the parts for free, but says that Beam does not pay him for service call, so we would be on the hook for another $125. Does it definitely seem like motor is bad again? I hate to keep throwing money at this thing but a new power unit is also $400 or so. Any recommendations at what we should do? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-15, 03:52 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,113 Votes on 1,033 Posts
I'm not real familiar with Beam units but I routinely service Buud, Vacuumaid, Nutone, M&S and Electrolux built in vacs.

With time the mini state breakers can go bad and trip prematurely. I use an Ampprobe to measure the motor draw and see if it's close to the breaker rating.

Old 05-04-15, 07:39 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks, PJmax. I had asked vac repair guy, and he said that mini breaker was part of control module that he replaced. It had been acting up daily, but after replacing motor and control module, it was great for 6 mos. now acting just as before.

Old 05-04-15, 10:18 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,113 Votes on 1,033 Posts
I would check back with the service guy and find out how long the warranty is on parts he replaced. 6-8 months is not acceptable.