Can I use auto parts store rubber hose with dishwasher?

Old 05-10-15, 02:51 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Can I use auto parts store rubber hose with dishwasher?

Hi,

I recently replaced the discharge hose and steel braided supply line to my 20 year old GE dishwasher for preventive maintenance since these parts were so old. if you click on the link below, you'll also see a photo with a black rubber hose on the side of the dishwasher.

I learned that this 3/8" rubber hose transports water to the tub when the solenoid opens in the area of that blue part which lets water enter from the supply line.

I'd like to replace this black rubber hose too. I know the auto parts store can cut me a length of this hose. I can't find it anywhere else. Here is my question. The hose they sell at the auto parts store is meant for fuel, vapor, emissions, and automotive fluids. Is this compatible with my dishwasher since it is used for cleaning plates, eating utensils, and for transporting potable water?

The lady at the appliance parts store didn't have the part, and she told me I could replace with auto parts store hose? Do you agree with her?

Name:  001.jpg
Views: 766
Size:  23.1 KB

http://i434.photobucket.com/albums/q...&1431294064161

Last edited by PJmax; 05-10-15 at 03:03 PM. Reason: added picture
Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-15, 03:06 PM
Group Moderator
Received 215 Votes on 204 Posts
After the water valve that hose only handles low pressure water.
So yes.... you can use hose from an auto parts store for that short fill line piece.

Old 05-10-15, 03:56 PM
Thanks Pete,

I forgot to ask since this is auto parts store hose, is it made of slightly different material that might leech something harmful into the dishwater water?

Old 05-10-15, 04:42 PM
Group Moderator
is it made of slightly different material that might leech something harmful into the dishwater water?
That's a question I don't know the answer too. I've been researching it and have not found any reason not to use it but no 100% assurances that it's completely non toxic.

Myself..... I'd give it a try.

Old 05-10-15, 09:51 PM
Looks identical to auto parts store hose..........judgment call on my part I guess.

Old 05-26-15, 07:16 AM
I found what I needed at a local brewer supply store. This is one those places that sells supplies and equipment to hobbyists that make their own beer and wine. I got a 2 ft. length of hose for $5 and some change. GE wanted over $30 for the hose. It's soft and flexible like the old hose too. And it's also food grade. Thanks

Old 05-26-15, 07:51 AM
Group Moderator
Great news.... thanks for letting us know.

Old 05-26-15, 05:30 PM
Pete.............all the better if what I learned can help someone else on this website.