Thin Transparent Film from Water Dispenser

Old 05-14-15, 06:51 PM
Thin Transparent Film from Water Dispenser

I replaced the water filter in my Whirlpool side-by-side refrigerator today (model# ed2vhextq01) and while I was flushing the new filter, I started to get large pieces of a thin film like substance floating in the container, like peeling skin. Prior to seeing this substance, the water sputtered for several seconds. I'm assuming the new water filter is allowing water to flow through the hoses more quickly (the old filter was about 8 years old), which is flushing this crud out of the lines. I did a quick google search and someone else experienced the same thing. The advice given was to replace the water reservoir. I'm hoping I can just remove the reservoir and soak it in bleach water, and perhaps flush the lines as well. Is this a viable solution or should the reservoir and/or lines be replaced? In the meantime, is the water safe to drink? I must have flushed at least 5 or 6 gallons of water and believe I got most of the debris out.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-15, 06:57 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Can you disconnect the line from the fridge completely to see if the water is clear?

Old 05-14-15, 07:30 PM
Which line are you referring to? The debris has to be downstream of the filter because there's no way debris that large would make it passed the filter. I'd like to access and clean the reservoir. I'm just not sure where it is.

Old 05-14-15, 07:49 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Okay, I had it backwards.