Dishwasher Drain Extension?

Old 06-08-15, 09:32 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Dishwasher Drain Extension?

A couple of weeks ago, I theorized in the plumbing forum about installing the dishwasher far from the sink. It was a very productive discussion and as part, I learned that a 7' conventionally-connected dishwasher drain line would be fine.

Well, now the tile's set, the walls are painted and the cabinet is modified. (Though I still need to give their dishwasher side a coat of urethane and have to do the wiring) Because I'll be using a side mount, my plan is to get the dishwasher set before the countertop arrives.

So, now that the machine is unwrapped and I'm making a materials list: All I'm seeing at the big box are 6' drain hoses. To go at the back of the cabinets, behind the stove and to go high, I'm going to need closer to 8', if not a little more. There is probably a 6' that came with it. Is it possible to clamp one of the 6's from the box onto the one that was included or do I need to special order one of the expensive long ones that may fit, though they're a different brand?

Searching the forums, I've seen it suggested to just buy the same size drain hose and a connector, but all I'm finding in the box store's catalog are those which connect a 7/8" to a 5/8" and the fellow working this evening was out of his depth.

What's the way to proceed? What is the product I should be seeking to extend the dishwasher drain line or is there an extension hose? If necessary, I'm willing to call the local parts supplier, but they also do installs and repairs, so I'd rather that if I have to involve them, I'd like to know what I seek.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-15, 11:13 PM
You can purchase drain hose in the big box plumbing department. It is on reels and needs to be cut by an employee.

Size (Inside Diameter) depends on if you are hooking drain up to disposer inlet or an air gap.

1. To Disposer: Purchase 7/8" ID hose and 7/8" brass barbed connector, 3 hose clamps. Connect new hose to existing drain hose with barbed fitting and clamps. Connect to disposer inlet with clamp. Be sure to knock out disposer inlet plug. This same size can be used if you are connecting to a branch tailpiece.

2. To air gap: Purchase 5/8" ID hose and 5/8" brass barbed connector. Before inserting barb into existing drain hose, cut back drain fitting to the 5/8" mark on existing rubber connector. If you are unsure what this means, post back. The factory dishwasher drain end is shipped to fit a 7/8" fitting. It can be trimmed back to fit 5/8". Do not cut into the ribbed section of factory hose.

Old 06-09-15, 05:31 AM
Connecting drain hoses is fine. I took a portable dishwasher in my cottage and connected the drain hose that normally connects up to the faucet in the kitchen sink, to my exit drain under the sink, for a permanent connection. I had to cut the existing hose on the dishwasher to get rid of that portable fitting for the faucet. I ended up doing just what Handyone listed above. Barbed up two hoses and connected the other end to my exit pipe. I am sure I have at least 8' of hose up under the sink and behind the dishwasher. I have had no problems with the drainage.

Old 06-09-15, 02:49 PM
I still haven't knocked-out the thing on the disposal or really investigated that aspect beyond a cursory read. I assume it will be obvious.

If I'm understanding these directions properly, the fancy black cover at the end of the connected drain hose won't really be necessary or is there something else I should get in addition to the bulk hose, barbed connector and clamps?

Thanks for all the help. I don't know why the 40-something at the blue box acted so disoriented when I asked if he had any longer packaged replacements and didn't suggest what to do, when I said that I needed a longer hose. (I'm being a bit facetious)

Thanks!

Old 06-09-15, 03:48 PM
the fancy black cover at the end of the connected drain hose won't really be necessary
Attach the factory drain hose per DW instructions. You will be extending it.

The fancy black end will be where you run your extension from and is very necessary.

Name:  rubberend.JPG
Views: 7568
Size:  11.2 KB

See drawing. The fat part at top is 7/8". If you need 5/8", carefully trim off 7/8" section.

The hose is marked. As stated before, do not cut into ribbed section.

Old 06-09-15, 06:55 PM
I meant on the disposal side. If I run a 7/8" bulk hose (cut from the roll) into the fancy black end, using a barbed connector, I'm not going to have a fancy black end at the disposal. Again, I still haven't popped out the disposal cover, but I gather from your earlier directions that it will connect with a clamp.

Again, thanks!

Old 06-09-15, 07:08 PM
The black end from DW, uncut, is 7/8" ID and will fit snuggly to disposer inlet.

The extension will be 7/8" ID. You will simply extend the line using a barb coupling and clamps at the black end and connect the other end to disposer as normal.

Old 06-09-15, 08:37 PM
You've been very helpful. Thanks!