Washer wont spin or agitate

Old 06-18-15, 02:16 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Washer wont spin or agitate

I have never been a "handywoman" so I don't know a lot about washers. I am just going off of information I have researched and what I have tried. Hopefully you all understand this.
I have a 5 year old Admiral washer. It will fill and drain but won't spin or agitate. When I turn it on spin cycle I can hear the motor running. I did a lot of research and found out the coupler might be the problem. I found the coupler and tried to turn it (without removing anything) and it wouldn't move. I removed the motor. Part of the coupler came off with the motor and looked fine. The other part was stuck on the transmission shaft. It looked okay and was really stuck on there so I didn't force it off. I was able to spin the coupler (with the shaft) when the motor was removed. I put the motor back on. I tried to spin the agitator with my hand and it is stuck. Could it still be the coupler? I also noticed black residue in a circle under the washer. It looks like powder not liquid. I am really hoping it is not the transmission. I am going to try to remove the coupler again but thought I would check here first.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-15, 03:36 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 19 Votes on 18 Posts
Post make and model #, Can't think of a Admiral with a coupler, Will need to see washer Model #

Old 06-18-15, 03:43 PM
Admiral ATW4475VQ

Got the coupler out and it's fine. So it is not that.

Old 06-18-15, 03:53 PM
I don't know if this will show my picture or not.

Attached Images  
Old 06-18-15, 06:30 PM
Group Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 308 Posts
You are missing a 1 or a 0 on the end of your model number. I used a 0.

That is an Admiral machine built by Maytag which is now owned by Whirlpool. So your machine is a basic Whirlpool designed washer.

I see your picture fine. The black rubber coupler gives off rubber dust during operation. Are you sure that other white piece isn't stripped or cracked where it goes on the motor or transmission ? Your problem is the coupler or the transmission.

ADMIRAL RESIDENTIAL WASHER Parts | Model ATW4475VQ0 | Sears PartsDirect

Old 06-19-15, 05:40 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Basic Whirlpool with a admiral name, to be sure I have this right it fills, agitates drains but won't spin. Look in cabinet about 6 inches up, look for a streak of oil. If there you need a gearcase top seal, clutch, would also say new drive coupler but I see you have the one with medal sleeve in it so it should be ok. Make sure both plastic pieces have the sleeve.

Old 06-19-15, 07:07 AM
"It will fill and drain but won't spin or agitate"

Take the motor back off. With one of the plastic coupler halves still on the transmission input shaft, try to rotate that shaft by hand. If you can't rotate it in either direction, the transmission is bad. Rotating in CCW direction should be easy and should cause the lower agitator to go back and forth. Rotating CW should be easy at first but then gets a bit harder as this causes the basket to rotate.

Old 06-19-15, 10:32 AM
It won't spin or agitate.

The shaft would move when we turned it both ways with the coupler on. The motor was not on at that point. We took the transmission out last night and there was what I am guessing oil on top. We checked the clutch and it looks okay. The shaft looked okay. It doesn't even look dirty. But I have never seen the inside of a washer before so I could be looking right at the problem and not know it. Most of the parts look clean, no scratches or breaks. The transmission was the only thing that was dirty with black on it. When I get home I can turn the shaft again and be sure they spin how you were describing.

Old 06-19-15, 01:50 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
oil streak will be very visible inside cabinet, missed that part where did not agitate also.