Oven and broiler on Whirlpool stove stopped working

Old 06-25-15, 02:32 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

The oven and broiler heating elements on my Whirlpool Accubake range,
(Model #GR470LXMB), do not heat up, even though the control board display says they are working.
E.g. it will state the Oven Preheat Cycle is on, cycles through it and states the temperature (350degrees) when it completes the cycle. It also shows that the Broiler is on when I turn it on.
The stove top burners all work OK and the Warmer Drawer heating element works too.
There is 120/240 AC power up to the control board.
Both the oven and broiler heating elements test out OK for continuity.
The temperature Sensor Probes for the oven and the broiler both test out close to specs (about 1100 Ohms at room temperature).
I checked wiring harnesses for loose connections or burn marks and could not find any.
Neither the display control board nor the power control board show obvious signs of burnt-out parts.
When turning the oven and broiler on, I can hear what sounds like a relay click, yet the heating elements do not heat up.
Any help on this is greatly appreciated!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-15, 08:22 PM
Group Moderator
Received 340 Votes on 318 Posts
Your range has a thermal protection device in the back. I couldn't find the wiring diagram for this appliance so I don't if it protects just the broiler element or both. It should measure a dead short with an ohmmeter. The link is to a video where the part is shown.
Whirlpool Range/Stove/Oven Thermal Fuse 3196548 Repair Clinic

If the thermal fuse is good you have a defective solder connection on the control board. I hope you're handy as this board shows as discontinued. There are always rebuilding companies but if you're handy I'll assist you in repairing it.

In the picture below.... I circled the element power switching relays on the control board. One relay is for broil and one is for bake. The third relay may be a master. You will need to look at the solder connections on the back of the board around the relays.

Name:  Oven-Control-Board-9756160--01156879.jpg
Views: 1581
Size:  28.5 KB

Please view the following thread at your leisure. This will show the amount of detail required to repair the board..... should that be the problem.
http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...d-working.html

Last edited by PJmax; 06-25-15 at 08:50 PM. Reason: added additional DIY link to thread
Old 06-26-15, 03:32 PM
Oven and broiler on Whirlpool tove stopped working

Thanks for your feedback PJMax, I really appreciate it!
I checked the Thermal Fuse and it shows continuity.
I pulled the control board and looked on the back for burn marks around the solder joints of the relays and for dull gray ones possibly indicating a cold joint, but did not see any obvious ones.
I checked for continuity between the solder joints on the back of the board and their post/spade connectors on the front and they check out OK.
I also checked the relay solder joints; between L2 and each individual relay they are open (as they should be, not being energized) on all three relays (bake/ broil and warmer--but remember that the warmer never stopped working; only the bake and broil elements did).
Help! I am stumped. What am I missing?
I am attaching some pics of the front and back of the part of the board where the relays are, and of the circuit diagrams, maybe they will help you identify what I am missing.

Thanks a whole bunch for your help!

Benkat

Name:  image1 (1).jpg
Views: 967
Size:  48.4 KBName:  image2.jpg
Views: 833
Size:  50.6 KBName:  image4.jpg
Views: 804
Size:  40.6 KBName:  image3.jpg
Views: 737
Size:  24.0 KBName:  image5.jpg
Views: 815
Size:  51.0 KB

Old 06-26-15, 04:24 PM
Group Moderator
I'm out on the road. The pics are great. I sent you a PM in reference to getting them sent to me so I can see them full size.

I see four relays.... broil, warmer, bake and a fourth one I can't read under that. I think the fourth one is main heating power but you said the warmer is working which means that relay is ok. I see the thermal fuse only protects the broiler.

Old 07-08-15, 11:13 AM

Dear PJmax, did you come up with any ideas after looking at the pics of the entire front and back of the control board that I sent by PM?
The warmer drawer element has its own relay and is powered off the L2 AC line.
The fourth relay (the large one in the bottom corner of the board) connects the two power lines (L1 and L2) to the broiler and oven elements and temp sensor probes. The elements and probes check out okay.
Is there some way I can test this big (fourth) relay to determine whether it is defective without desoldering it?
Because if it is okay, the problem must be in the part of the control board that activates this fourth relay.
Any advice or suggestions are much appreciated!

Old 07-08-15, 08:03 PM
Group Moderator
Sorry for the delay. I see the DBL relay on the board. I have not been able to find out what actually activates it or keeps it from activating.

If you can power up the board and make tests..... you should measure 240vac from both red wires on DBL to L1 when oven or broiler is turned on. When they're off.... only one red wire will show 240vac.

You could also place your probes..... one on each red wire. You should read 0v when oven or broiler is turned on.

If that relay is good then the only other thing left is control board replacement.