Fridge leaking water after freezer left open

Old 06-29-15, 05:16 AM
Fridge leaking water after freezer left open

last Monday I left the freezer door cracked about 8 hours accidentally. Thursday and Friday I came home to what I believe was water from under the fridge but it was about 3 feet out into the room and there wasn't a clear path from the fridge. it was a bit brown water and didn't smell otherwise I would have thought maybe the cat was bad but she never did that before . still having it 2 days in a row was weird. I put a paper towel near the fridge to confirm indeed the next day it was coming from the fridge but it hasn't done it since.

so is there any reason why 3 days after leaving the door open there would be water coming from under the fridge vs THE night I left it open. fridge is about 20 years old.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-15, 05:33 AM
Likely the drain line is now frozen up in the back of the fridge.
Google "repairclinic.com" and go to repair help for pictures and may even be a video on how to fix it.
Going to need the model #.

Old 06-29-15, 06:27 AM
Group Moderator
Even if the drain line is not frozen the coils probably accumulated so much ice that the catch pan under the fridge can not hold it all and is overflowing. Depending on your fridge you can access the catch pan by removing the front toe kick panel or by rolling the fridge out. Some models have a panel covering the compressor area but if you remove that you'll see the pan. Use a sponge to empty it out. You may notice that the fridge/freezer does not cool as well but after it goes through one or two defrost cycles it should go back to operating normally.

The faster method is to manually defrost the fridge. Most top freezer models have the coils located in the back of the freezer. Unplug the fridge and take everything out of the freezer and remove the shelf and the panel in the back of the fridge. You'll see the coils. If they are clear the fridges defrost cycle has taken care of it for you. If it looks like a big chunk of ice a hairdryer can hasten the thawing. Try to soak up the water as the ice melts or keep an eye on the catch pan so it doesn't over flow.

Old 08-11-15, 06:08 AM
ok 6 weeks later and I awaken to find more water has come out. fridge temps are normal. I have a gauge that does max/min

don't wanna buy new one but if this is early signs of breakage, I will

Old 08-11-15, 08:49 AM
Group Moderator
What did you do to correct the original problem? Did you check that the drain tube was clear? Where is the water coming out?

Old 08-11-15, 09:06 AM
Group Moderator
We never learned any details about your appliance..... make, model, age.

Dane asked a great question... where is the water coming out. If it's coming out of the doors, usually the freezer side, it's a definite drain clog.

Do you have kids ? The doors spending extra time open accelerate frost and ice buildup.

Old 08-11-15, 11:11 AM
I didn't do a darn thing cause it stopped then after 2 days and recovered. water is coming out of front center underneath fridge.

its at least 20 years old and now that I think about it, I did change something, I never balanced the door and it always swung wide open. I changed that to now where it will close automatically. maybe I messed up the balance of something by 'leveling' it that way. but I really got to like a closing door. sigh

Old 08-11-15, 01:20 PM
Group Moderator
Pop off the toe kick cover and look in there with a flashlight. At 20 years it's possible your evaporator pan has rusted through. The pan may also be full of water and your re-leveling lowered one edge enough to make it more prone to over filling. But if you're fridge is making enough water to over flow the pan there is usually something else causing it like a leaky door seal or too much time with the door open especially in humid summer.

Old 08-12-15, 05:12 AM
Kenmore 363 by the way

ok ill have to get on the floor sometime and see what is going on. that's probably what it is. I doubt is leaky seal since temp is always good and door is rarely open at all. but if i have a spare dollar i can find out I guess. also I have a whole house dehumidifier so no real humidity ever in the house

Old 08-12-15, 06:47 AM
Group Moderator
If your coils are underneath it would also be a good time to vacuum them clean.

Old 08-26-15, 07:09 AM
pulled the cover off but only saw coils. no pan.

Old 08-26-15, 07:49 AM
Group Moderator
Since it's an older fridge.... the 363 tells me it's a GE built appliance. The model number is much longer than that. It would be 363.xxxxxxxxxxxxx.

The drip pan may be in the back. You may have to roll the fridge out, remove the cardboard access cover and look in there.