What to do after fridge door left open overnight?

Old 06-30-15, 06:07 AM
What to do after fridge door left open overnight?

We have a kenmore 6063 fridge one month old. Door was left cracked open over night and we have a little frost forming in the freezer on the back wall and around the fan. Should I do anything? Will it defrost itself? Sounds like fans are running non stop in it now.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-15, 06:40 AM
Good time to shut it down and let it defrost.
If not the drain line and drain pan may stop up and leak water onto floor.
Hair dryer will speed things up.
Look inside the freezer and see if there's a removable panel to access the coil and drain pan.
Keep an eye on the pan under the unit to make sure it does not over flow while defrosting.

Old 06-30-15, 06:47 AM
How long do I let it defrost? Unplug the entire unit? Or just turn freezer off, if that's possible?

Old 06-30-15, 07:40 AM
Group Moderator
I have a non frost free freezer. When I defrost it, I put a good fan blowing air in it and it is good to go in about 1/2 hour. Pull out the ice chunks and soak up the water with a towel(s).

Old 06-30-15, 07:48 AM
Side note, but unless you know for sure that a drawer was left open or something else that prevented it from closing, I would check the unit for level, per the owner's manual. Simple enough to correct, but, if it's leaning forward a bit for example, this could become a recurring problem.

Old 06-30-15, 08:13 AM
Does that include the evap coils? Or just defrosting what's visible in the compartment?

Old 06-30-15, 08:17 AM
It's pretty much level. I know it should tip back a bit to allow doors to close on it's own, but the installer indicated that if the wheels are adjusted that way, the fridge cannot be moved without damaging the floor.... Maybe I should go ahead and do this adjustment. If it's easy enough to do, then it should be easy to tighten the screws back up when I need to wheel it out...

Old 06-30-15, 08:19 AM
Group Moderator
For my unit, the coils are built in to the shelves. Yours, being a frost free, will defrost the evap coil as needed. You are just looking to get rid of the ice build up from leaving the door open.

To tip it back what not just slip some 1/4" plywood under the wheels.

Old 06-30-15, 08:47 AM
My coils had ice on them. Do you just need to melt it, or do you want the coils dry before turning it back on?