Defrosting fridge evap coils

Old 06-30-15, 09:41 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Defrosting fridge evap coils

Should you simply melt the ice, or wait until the coils are dry too? It's a top freezer. Door was left open and ice built up over night. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-15, 11:02 AM
Group Moderator
Received 184 Votes on 171 Posts
I usually use a hairdryer to speed things along. Soak up the water to prevent the evaporating pan from overflowing and plug it back in as soon as the ice is gone. You can wait for the coils to dry but whatever re-freezes will get melted on the next defrost cycle.

Old 06-30-15, 07:51 PM
Is it normal to have water in the drip pan already, a few hours after defrost and turning fridge back on? There is about a half inch of water in it.

Old 06-30-15, 08:42 PM
Group Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 308 Posts
Yes... it is normal for there to be water in the drip pan. There will be some water in the drip pan every time the fridge self defrosts. The heat of the compressor causes the water to evaporate in between cycles. When you do a manual defrost it is very likely the pan will overflow.

While you're down there checking out the drip pan.... make sure the fan and coils are clean down there.

Old 06-30-15, 09:24 PM
Thanks. It's all clean down there. Fridge is only a few weeks old. I did just notice some very light frost on the back panel of my freezer. Should this defrost during the next defrost cycle? If not, I think i have a malfunction.

Old 07-01-15, 05:36 AM
Group Moderator
Received 184 Votes on 171 Posts
It sorta depends on how much stuff you have in the freezer. Since that panel is very close to the coils it makes sense that it gets really cold and can collect frost. If there is not a lot of food up against the panel keeping it cold during the defrost cycle then it may melt. Worst case it just sublimates (evaporates directly from a solid to a gas without going through the liquid phase) and slowly goes away much like how old ice cubes shrink over time.

Old 07-01-15, 06:05 AM
That makes sense. Thanks. Will let it be and see.