Kenmore 80 Series Washer Drum Issue

Old 07-07-15, 08:45 PM
Kenmore 80 Series Washer Drum Issue

Hi - I've seen lots of threads about the Kenmore 80 Series washing machine, but can't find anything about our specific issue. Appreciate any tips trying to avoid buying a new washer if possible.

The agitator is slower than normal, no matter the setting, but the real issue is that the tub/drum stopped rotating during the wash settings (applicable to every setting). It will spin and drain, but does not work otherwise. It makes the same old hum as if it is rotating during the wash, but stays still. I was able to coax it manually the first time it stopped, though that doesn't work any longer. Our model is 110.24852300.

Clothes basically soak in water now, with a little agitation, and aren't coming clean. If it's easy enough to fix ourselves, we will. Otherwise, probably not worth a repairman. Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-15, 09:03 PM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 210
Welcome to the forums.

I have a similar washer. They are part of the direct drive series manufactured by Whirlpool. They are reliable machines and are usually worth fixing.

As far as I know the tub doesn't move on agitate/wash. Just the agitator should turn. If you try to hold the agitator.... does it want to stop ?

Old 07-07-15, 09:35 PM
Thanks. Our drum/tub always rotated on the outside during the agitate/wash cycle, in the opposite direction of the agitator. My husband just tested your question and no, the agitator doesn't want to stop if we try and hold it.

Old 07-08-15, 11:20 AM
The tub should absolutely not rotate during agitation cycle. If it does, then the brakes are failing. As far as agitation speed, depends on what your speed switch is set to. Have you tried different settings? Are you talking about the lower agitator or upper? The lower part goes back and forth, the upper is only driven in the clockwise direction. If you can freely rotate the upper, while holding the lower, in either direction, you need new agitator dogs.

Old 07-09-15, 05:00 AM
Meant to say that if you can rotate the upper agitator, while holding the lower part, in both directions, you need new agitator dogs. It should freely rotate in the clockwise direction but not in the counterclockwise direction.

Old 07-09-15, 01:53 PM
The upper goes freely clockwise and the lower freely counterclockwise, and both spin in unison (in opposite directions). Can't hold one and still spin the other. Sounds like the agitator dogs are fine.

The drum was most definitely turning before during the wash cycle, ever since it was installed. (I've not had a washer that didn't have a drum turn?) Now that it's not, the agitator barely moves the wash and clothes are basically soaking. Anyway, other sources indicate it's likely worn carbon brushes in the motor, a shifter coil issue or something simply stuck in there. We'll take it apart to figure out what's up.

Thanks for the feedback.

Old 07-09-15, 03:14 PM
Well, your wrong about the drum turning in your direct drive model. I don't know of any other model that doesn't have brakes to prevent that besides the newer Whirlpool VMW models. There are no brushes in your motor nor does your model have a shifter coil.

Old 07-09-15, 03:21 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes Received: 13
Drum doesn't turn in wash cycle, Fairbanks told you right. Only thing i could think of for drum tom turn in wash cycle is brake broken and would be so rare I have never heard of it and have never seen it. In Wash agitator is only thing that turns.