Whirlpool Washer Won't Run

Old 07-17-15, 10:03 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Whirlpool Washer Won't Run

This is a very old washer with the tub in very good condition and has strong agitation that gets clothes clean that I want to keep. Whirlpool model LVA5540W0. Symptom: stopped suddenly almost immediately after dial was pulled up. Water squirted in for a second or two and stopped. It will not operate in any phase of the cycles.

I get full line voltage where the black and white wires attach to the terminals with power coming in from the cord. I got very weak voltage where those wires feed into the analog timer mechanism. So I unplugged the harness and tested for voltage in female end of the harness where the white and black wires feed to it. All I get is just under 5 volts! I checked for continuity from the line input that tested on a spotty basis OK to this harness. I have to work at it for both wires but eventually get continuity after poking around long enough.

The terminals and harness look clean but could I be getting a bad connection? Is it possible I would only get 5 volts but be able to get continuity? Should I put some dielectric grease on this or could there be a problem where the white wire branches off to other white wires leading to other parts of the machine, fill solenoids, motor etc.. Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-15, 02:35 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 25 Votes on 24 Posts
Please check model # could not get it to work. Does it make any noise when it stops, Motor hum or something? Try moving ti,e knob to different settings and try. Let us know what you find. Sounds like a bad wire in harness but would be very rare.

Old 07-19-15, 11:49 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
pugsl, thanks for that reply. The appliance parts site changed the model #. It is LWA5540A-0. It works now! I disconnected the black and white wire terminals at the power source and pulled the harness end and all other wires out for a better look. After confirming the path had nowhere to go but to what I was testing, I cleaned the contacts. I lightly sanded with light grit metal sandpaper, the male ends of the terminals at the power source in the washer and the female connectors to that source and then used some contact cleaner on them. After I did that the harness that was giving only 5V before had full line power. Whirlpool built this washer very well but I think a little bit of oxidization may have set in on those terminals after 45 years. The simplicity of this washer is a beautiful thing. I have a photo of the wiring diagram that was put on the back of it. I will post itif you would like to have it for your library. Let me know.

Old 07-20-15, 12:20 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 25 Votes on 24 Posts
thanks for the update, Glad you found problem. Model # still did not work may be to old to be in system still. Is this a belt driven model? Not important but if it is be careful of doing any work around tub, All the one's I have found is the tub has rust and when you mess with them it starts leaking and tub NLA. If a direct drive type very easy to fix.

Old 07-20-15, 02:45 PM
Group Moderator
Received 419 Votes on 392 Posts
Yes... it's a belt drive.

For some reason the model number is not listed on many sites.
Parts for Whirlpool LVA5540W0 washer - Appliance Parts Pros