Major dilemma of a fridge order, keep it or cancel it.

Old 07-22-15, 06:13 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Major dilemma of a fridge order, keep it or cancel it.

Hi guys, I need your input whether or not it's worth the hassle to keep this side-by-side 25 cu.ft fridge order I placed last night (to be delivered and installed next Wed). Price wise it's good, out of pocket probably only ~500 (could be less but have to fight for some points).

Sears.com

According to the spec on paper, it will be a tad taller than my cut-out (mine was measured to be 36" exact* 68.625"*31" with a cabinet on top against the ceiling. I went to the store to measure this fridge myself and found the height to be 68.5"-68.75" (floor to the case top) since it wasn't perfectly level, width is 35.5". I'm not particularly concerned about the hinge height, as well as the air circulation, because the cabinet is only 12" deep from the wall and there's an maybe 1.5" frame at the bottom of the cabinet (so the bottom surface of cabinet isn't the lowest point and the highest point of the fridge will be exposed in air). Technically it'll have about 1.5" space even if the top surface of the fridge contacts the frame. Also, one side is a 31 inch wall, the other side is a 25" countertop, so a lot of exposed space around the fridge (it won't be sitting in a fully enclosed space.

There are wheels on the fridge, measured to be around 0..5". Guy at Sears store said the wheels can be removed but not height-adjustable.

Given all these info, do you think the fridge will fit in my space and operate safely? The previous cheap-a$$ owner put an apartment grade High Point top freezer 30" fridge there before moving out, occupying only part of the cut-out space. And it looked really ugly there, but the fridge is working OK.

I'm concerned because it'll be a major hassle for me to clean out the old fridge and for the delivery guys to get the new fridge in as they may need to remove the doors to get into the house. I don't want to waste all those effort and found out that it won't fit. I'm not planning to cut the frame on the cabinet for this fridge.

So my questions are, if they move it in and could not fit, can I ask delivery team to take it back? Or I have to repack everything and haul it back myself? Do I need to pay any restocking fee at all.

Thanks a lot.

Old 07-22-15, 07:06 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I had a potential customer ask me for an estimate to reduce the size of the cabinet above the "new fridge" if he were to buy it. His wife didn't want to buy a smaller fridge, which was understandable. The way the cabinet was designed, it would have taken a cabinet maker, to do the job. I told him that I couldn't do it.

It sounds too close for comfort. I don't think that I would take the chance. I would look at some other stores to see what else is available. I never had good luck with Sears. I don't like them at all.

Old 07-22-15, 07:16 AM
I deal with Sears Appliances almost exclusively. The return policy is 30 days on appliances and the delivery guys will return fridge to store if it doesn't fit. They won't be happy but it's their job.

So it's your call if you want to give it a shot, it will cost nothing.
If the back of fridge is 68.5, you have 1/8" clearance, which is good enough.
If the back is 68.75 it will be wedged in. I would not recommend wedging it in or removing rear wheels.

Old 07-22-15, 07:26 AM
M
I just chatted with Sears CSR and they did have 30-day return policy, but the catch is, I would need to force the delivery team to take it back the same day if not fit. If they are not happy and decline to repack and take it back, I will be screwed with pick up fee if I need to schedule a later return pick up.

Last time I ordered a washer from sears, the delivery guys looked very much like 3rd party contractors, no sears logo on truck, no uniform. Will they be responsible of taking stuff back?

Old 07-22-15, 07:50 AM
I have worked with Sears appliances for over 13 years. They do not need to repack it or anything. Simply put it on truck and return it. They are contractors, but that doesn't matter.
Do not let them leave without returning fridge if it doesn't fit.

If they decline to put it back on truck, heads will roll. Just trust them to do their job.
Trust me, that fridge will be returned one way or the other and not by you.

Old 07-22-15, 07:56 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Are you really going to try to enforce some fictitious clause in a fictitious contract between Sears & a 3rd party contractor, after your prayer for a miracle that the fridge fits doesn't come true? Other people sell refrigerators besides Sears.

Old 07-22-15, 08:33 AM
M
Pulpo, thanks so much for your input. I admit I'm being cheap here, coz I really seldom see a slimmer side-by-side, or french door that can safely fit into my space (meaning, width less than 35", height less than 68") that can be bought at this price (~500 or even less). I understand this was not a high end fridge that's why I would not sacrifice my cabinet for this, but it's definitely an upgrade compared to the High Point one. One way or another, I probably need to replace that cheap looking high point, sooner or later.

I'm chatting with Sears Home Delivery team and confirmed that the delivery team will have no problem taking it back if it does not fit. The rep also clarified that there won't be pick up fee even if the pick up team did not take it back, sears would still pick it up for free as long as it's within 30 days. But they won't remove the wheels in the house because of the liability of damaging the fridge or anything in my property.

Old 07-22-15, 12:34 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Removing wheels or any other modifications would leave contractor with liability for any damage to either ref. or property. Not allowed by Sears.

Old 07-22-15, 04:10 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
MrNobody, I wasn't thinking of you as "cheap". There seems to be about a 2% chance of the fridge fitting according to your original post. Someone in my family has written many books on gambling & I doubt that he would have taken those odds.

Old 07-22-15, 05:06 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
I DO NOT recommend removing the wheels. The unit will be just about impossible to get in and out.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: