Understanding how an air diffuser works

Old 08-02-15, 10:04 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Understanding how an air diffuser works

Hi,

My fridge was making a clapping noise, the fridge was warm but freezer was running fine, I noticed that the noise was coming from the fridge compartment from a box on the top (air diffuser) so I decided to open it and take a look. What I found out is that the diffuser was in fact making the noise, the diffuser blade wasn't opening all the way, it was trying to open but it was retracting back from halfway and making the noise.

Is this a common problem?

Is there a quick fix or the whole box needs to be changed?

Can someone be so kind and give me a brief explanation on how the diffuser works, how offer does that opens etc.?

The main reason why I want to understand how this works is because I want to make sure this is not caused by some other electrical component which could be preventing the diffuser from opening and closing.

FYI.
It was doing the clapping noise about every 10 second or so.

Refrigerator: Kitchen Aid KSRT25FWMS01

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  44.4 KB

Last edited by fs_tigre; 08-02-15 at 10:20 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-15, 10:39 AM
Group Moderator
Received 338 Votes on 316 Posts
The diffuser is a motor driven door that is controlled by a thermostat. Many times the gears in the motor drive go bad and the diffuser assembly needs to be replaced.

The door is constantly cycling based on the fridge temp.

The OEM part number is W10128734. I left you two links below. The second one has more detailed user information. Ordering from one of these two companies gives you a one year return warranty if that part is not the problem. You can also search for discount pricing based on the part number.

KitchenAid Refrigerator Diffuser W10128734 Repair Clinic

Whirlpool W10128734 Diffuser - Appliance Parts Pros

Old 08-02-15, 10:54 AM
Thanks a lot @PJmax

Make sense, the noise was probably caused by the worn-gears.

Again thanks a lot for your help and for the links. That's good to know that the parts can be returned if it is not the problem.

Thanks a LOT!

Old 08-05-15, 08:43 AM
@PJmax

Hi, I ordered the part and I'm suppose to get it tomorrow but I just realized that I don't remember where one of the wires was, even though I took pictures that wire is not clear. The diffuse has two wires besides the harness, I know one goes to the fridge compartment and I want to guess that the other one goes to the freezer compartment but I'm not 100% sure. It looks like these wires measure temperature so I'm assuming that one need to go to the fridge and the other to the freezer but I would like you to confirm this.

See the attached sketch for better idea. Look at the wire with the question mark.

Thanks a lot.

Name:  fridge.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  22.6 KB