Are Old Maytag Laundry Pairs Worth Repairing?

Old 08-06-15, 03:16 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Are Old Maytag Laundry Pairs Worth Repairing?

I have a rental that has 1993 Maytags. Dryer is dead and washer has unknown problems. This is a no brainer. I will replace because I can't afford the time and hassle of getting a repairman to a location 20 miles away and the tenants need the situation fixed asap.

Now to my house. I have a 1990 Maytag pair that has never had a problem. I figure I am on borrowed time. When the day comes, is it worth fixing these old gems? Being in my own house I could afford the down time that it would take to repair. Would I be better off replacing when one of these fails?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-15, 04:14 PM
Received 57 Votes on 52 Posts
My personal opinion, and being one who has repaired many appliances, I figure that at 25 years old, given the advances in technology that we have seen in the past couple of decades, the energy savings alone are enough to warrant replacement.

Old 08-06-15, 05:07 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 21 Votes on 20 Posts
Dryer is one I would repair except for motor, Washer depends on what went wrong. A transmission usually not cost effective to repair. I personally think the old washers are better than new ones.

Last edited by pugsl; 08-07-15 at 06:57 AM.
Old 08-06-15, 05:46 PM
Super Moderator
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The house I'm selling has a WH from 1990, original A/C-Furnace, range from 1990 and washer/dryer that are close to that old IIRC. I replaced the DW due to our water issues out here and fixed the start button on the dryer. The A/C-Furnace had to have a new ignitor about 5 yrs ago. That's it. I would prefer an old appliance or at least one with mechanical controls over most of the new stuff I see in stores.

Matter of fact, when the sale is final, I'm bringing that old washer and dryer set over here.

Old 08-06-15, 06:22 PM
Group Moderator
Received 343 Votes on 321 Posts
advances in technology that we have seen in the past couple of decades
I agree 100% but the problem isn't the technology it's the poor quality in execution of the technology.

I've serviced appliances for many years and the quality of the control boards and electronics has gone down considerably.

Remember...... with energy saving appliances..... for every dollar you save in energy it will cost you two to fix the appliance.

Old 08-06-15, 06:58 PM
Super Moderator
I get the energy savings for things like fridges and freezes....even dishwashers...but washers and dryers? And the electronics as you mentioned..makes it virtually impossible for a regular person to find the problem.

Old 08-06-15, 07:21 PM
Group Moderator
Received 343 Votes on 321 Posts
Washers....mostly from the reduced amount of water required to clean the same amount of clothing.

Old 08-06-15, 08:04 PM
Super Moderator
Isn't that why they have large, med, and small load settings? I know some of the new ones actually (supposedly) measure for when the clothes are clean, but seems like a lot of tech and a great cost for a minimal savings.

Old 08-07-15, 03:33 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
We bought a new washer and dryer a few years ago and the washer is a water and energy saver. The water savings comes in where it puts less water in the machine. IMO even though it's the same size washer, less water means it washes a smaller load The energy savings comes about by the washer stopping and starting throughout the wash cycle. I can see where having it stop and let the clothes soak can be beneficial - especially some of the clothes I've worked in

Over all, I liked the old units better but I'm not sure if repairs would have been cost effective.

Old 08-12-15, 07:08 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Thanks All

I probably would lean toward replacement. My last home Maytag washer had a transmission failure @ 23 yrs. If that happens to the current one, my concern is that the replacement assembly is not really Maytag, but some Chinese knockoff. Having said that, wow are new laundry pairs expensive. I just dropped $1,500 on a Samsung set for my rental.