New Fridge Help

Old 08-09-15, 07:57 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
New Fridge Help

I need some help picking a new fridge. We bought a Samsung 2 years ago based on reviews. everything has been great with the fridge until the ice maker quit. After 3 service calls we were told we are getting a new fridge. The heater in the water line to the ice maker quit and apparently that is not a replaceable part. We purchased the fridge at Sears so we are stuck purchasing at Sears. I am looking for something that will last a long time. Not something that is built to fail as soon as the warranty is up. Do any of the major brands stand out for lasting longer? I know ice makers are finicky so I'm not opposed to getting a Samsung as it has been good to date. Im starting to think they are all made with the same compressors and hardware. Just different electronics to control the compressor and different designs. Do any of them have a superior compressor/condensor/hardware?

Old 08-09-15, 11:51 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
Check Consumer Reports. They rate the brands/manufacturers reliability. You may be surprised at which brands are at the top and bottom of the list.

Old 08-09-15, 12:14 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Do any of them have a superior compressor/condensor/hardware?
No.... not until you get in to semi pro brands like Cold Draft, Sub Zero, Viking, Miele.

KichenAid is a division of Whirlpool and is supposed to be good.

I tell my customers..... if you buy a new fridge....get at least a three year extended warranty. I AM NOT a fan of extended warranties but have seen numerous failures at the two-three year point.

Old 08-09-15, 03:41 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I hate extended warranties but after talking to the owner of a local appliance store who told me the actual life expectancy of these units i said the 600 bucks was worth it.

I will check Consumer reports. I have never liked them as a feel that they rate the business as a whole.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: