Refrigerator and freezer too cold

Old 08-11-15, 12:14 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Refrigerator and freezer too cold

This pertains to: Kenmore side by side, model # 106.9550781. 18 yrs old.

After things began to thaw in freezer a couple weeks ago, I have been trying to figure out what is wrong. Fortunately, we have both a spare refridge downstairs for beverages, a chest freezer and an small under the bar fridge to use, rather than spoil food.

After cleaning coils, checking evaporating fan, cooling fan, with no results, I replaced the temperature control unit.

Since then, temps in my freezer have averaged -6.7 degrees. and refrigerator at 30.6 degrees. How can I be so precise? I put a temperature data recorder in both over a 12 hr period.

Online research pointed to the temperature control unit was bad. I installed a replacement controller bought on ebay (new replacement unit). Replacement came with a plastic cover over capillary tube. Another "how to" site installation video showed taking plastic cover off the bad capillary tube and putting on new unit. Since replacement came with a plastic cover, I contacted the vendor and he said to install with the cover it came with which I did.

Capillary tube cover on the original was stiffer and solid color. The replacement was transparent and thinner. After installation, it is too cold. Changing temperature control doesn't make a difference. I do hear the compressor come on and off periodically so it isn't "stuck" on.

Contacting the supplier, he sent me another controller at no charge. Installing the new controller produces the same problem. It's hard for me to believe both replacement parts are defective.

Obviously, the freezer is working (too well). Is there anything else that is causing the compressor to come off too often or too long?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-15, 10:36 PM
Group Moderator
Received 338 Votes on 316 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Only your thermostat controls the entire box temperature. It sure sounds like he gave you the wrong part. What is the part number you received ?

Original thermostat part number was 2161283 but has been superseded by Whirlpool OEM part number 2198202.

Old 08-12-15, 06:42 AM
thermostat (refridgerator contol unit) that I received is 2198202.

After more research, I am begining to suspect the defrost timer. Would definitely like to get to bottom of this without calling a service technician.

Old 08-12-15, 09:50 PM
Group Moderator
Received 338 Votes on 316 Posts
The defrost timer shuts off the compressor when defrosting. It has no way of keeping the compressor running.

Only that thermostat can keep the compressor running.

One thing that is critical..... the thermostat sensor bulb needs to be in the same location so that it reads the proper air temperature.

Old 08-13-15, 07:39 AM
I have viewed a couple videos of the installation and neither shows a close-up detail of bulb placement. In particular, should the bulb extend beyond the plastic capillary cover? By how much?

The capillary tube (with plastic cover) wraps around the air balance input to the refrigerator compartment. After replacing this twice, I took it out and carefully inspected the capillary to see if I had kinked it. I can find no evidence of that. Since the side-by-side unit won't allow much more than my arm inside, it is difficult to the exact bulb placement. Ideally, the freezer would be big enough for my overly large body and I could look directly at it. At this writing, I have just ordered another thermostat. This time it is a factory (whirlpool) original as opposed to what may have been an off shore replica.

If anyone had a detailed picture, showing the bulb, it would be appreciated.

Thank you,