Whirlpool electric dryer makes rattling sound

Old 08-18-15, 05:31 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Whirlpool electric dryer makes rattling sound

Hello,

I have owned a Whirpool Cabrio Electric Dryer (model # WED5800BW0) for 1 1/2 years now. about 5 months ago it started making a very strange rattling noise approximately halfway through a drying cycle. If I open the door or turn off the dryer it immediately stops apposed to gradually getting softer or slowing down. I have taken off the front part underneath the door, unscrewed the venting area, and vacuumed the area completely to ensure there was no other debris within the fan area that blows the lint out. I have also ensured there are no loose screws and the dryer is level. I am pasting a youtube video I created so the sound and function of the dryer could be heard. If anyone has any ideas please throw them my way (in layman's terms please; as I am not too handy in the DYI/Mechanical area). Thank you very much for your help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IU9fBPvCro

Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-15, 06:11 PM
Group Moderator
Received 334 Votes on 312 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I can't tell from the sound what it is. I would take the front of the machine off, remove the belt from the motor and take the drum out of the machine. Put the machine partially back together so it can be operated without the drum. Be sure to put machine in AIR dry so as to not harm the heating element. With the top off and the drum out you can get a better idea where the noise is coming from.

It sounds like a bad motor but it would be kind of quick for that.

You can use the following video for disassembly help.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tm1ZCiAnxto#t=137

Old 08-19-15, 05:16 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 19 Votes on 18 Posts
Follow what PJMax said also look at the rollers in back. turn motor by hand to seeif ant roughness when turning. Check idler pulley and lightly lube idler and rollers. Check in blower area real good for and loose objects, Hair pin etc. When taking drum listen for a coin that might fall out from between drum seal and back panel. UNPLUG DRYER BEFORE DOING THIS