Is this a defrost heater problem?

Old 08-19-15, 11:31 AM
Is this a defrost heater problem?

Our fridge is about 8-10 years old. First the refrigerator went out, and then the freezer went out about 3 days later. I checked the coils and they are frosted over. I am now in the process of defrosting them. I'm hoping it's the defrost heater, since that seems to be easy and cheap to replace.

I read this could be a number of problems, but I was going to defrost the coils and turn the refrigerator back on. My theory was that if everything works fine when the coils are defrosted; the defroster heater is the problem. Is that a correct assumptions? It's not worth it for me to replace any other parts that cost around 150$ plus whatever it is to have someone come out and install it if I cannot.

Thank you in advance! I do want to say how impressed and appreciative I was on how fast and helpful the posters on this site were for my last problem/post. This is a very helpful site!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-15, 11:38 AM
Upvotes Received: 24
Got a make and model # for it?

Old 08-19-15, 02:45 PM
Frigidaire
Model- FRS26ZSG

Old 08-22-15, 06:48 AM
So I defrosted the coils and plugged the fridge back in. After a couple hours the freezer was great and the fridge was only semi cool. The coils did freeze back over pretty fast. Can anyone sway me against buying a new defroster to solve this problem?

Could this be anything else? the thermometer maybe? the fan seems to run just fine. Thanks!

Old 08-22-15, 09:17 AM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 213
An extremely important maintenance item is to vacuum and clean under the fridge at least once a year. The coils need to be kept dust free. The fan also needs to be clean and running down there too.

Freeze over and frost up are two different things. Frost up is normal and happens quickly. Freeze over should take several days to occur and usually means the self defrost is not working. Door leaks will cause the coil to freeze up faster.

You didn't post the complete model number so I picked a complete model in the the same family. Your unit uses a defrost timer. It's usually mounted right behind the fridge/freezer controls. Yours may be down under the front kick plate. It has a place in it where you can insert a screwdriver and turn the control to defrost mode. Then you would check for heat in the freezer coil.

There is a defrost heating element, a defrost thermostat and the timer itself. Any one of the three can cause defrost issues but the thermostat is the usual problem.

Part 21 is the defrost timer in the following link....
CONTROLS Diagram & Parts List for Model FRS26ZSGB0 Frigidaire-Parts Refrigerator-Parts | SearsPartsDirect

In the following link... part 14 is the defrost element and part 21 is the defrost thermostat.
SYSTEM Diagram & Parts List for Model FRS26ZSGB0 Frigidaire-Parts Refrigerator-Parts | SearsPartsDirect