Refrigerator chirps sometimes

Old 08-23-15, 07:19 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Refrigerator chirps sometimes

I have a 26 year old Hotpoint. The motor was changed under warranty about 12 years ago. A couple days ago I noticed condensation on some containers and a low chirping or tweeting sound when I opened the door. The condensation is gone now but I hear the chirp sometimes when opening the door.

As it's summer I don't want to have to replace the appliance till cooler weather so as not to ruin the food inside (the fridg is full!).

Any advice on if this is the start of the fridg dying and if so, how long until it goes, is appreciated. Or if nothing to worry about I'd love to hear that!

Thanks for replies.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-15, 06:41 PM
Temporarily Suspended
The motor was changed under warranty about 12 years ago
That's sounds like a great warranty. How did you find that? The chirp doesn't sound like it's a problem with the actual running of the refrigerator. Open the door & push the button for the light in & out a few times. See if you hear the chirp.

Old 08-23-15, 07:04 PM
Seems that I'd never been notified a few years before the motor repair that there'd been a recall on the make/model of my fridg. The repairman knew about it and managed to get the company to pay for the new motor.

I tried what you suggested but it didn't bring on that chirping noise.

Thanks for trying to help!

Old 08-23-15, 07:30 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Try to determine the location of the chirp. Also, when was the last time that you vacuumed under the fridge? No one does it but it's a good idea.

Old 08-23-15, 07:57 PM
Group Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 308 Posts
By operating the door switch manually..... you've eliminated an electrical problem.
That would pretty much leave a mechanical problem like a rusty door hinge.

Old 08-24-15, 05:35 AM
Vacuumed under the fridg?? Probably 12 years ago when the motor was changed!! It'd have to be moved to do that which I can't do.

The noise is internal; can't pinpoint where it's from. I did do some googling last night and seems it's probably the evaporative fan that's the source. That might also explain the condensation I had one time when I first heard it. So, if it is the fan, would that break down soon or would it just keep chirping for a long time?

It doesn't pay to fix an old refrigerator but don't want to have to replace it in summer.

Again, thanks for your suggestions and help.

Old 08-24-15, 05:41 AM
Temporarily Suspended
Since you don't want to put any more money into it, I would wait until it stops working. There is no way to tell how long it will last. It could chirp for months.

Old 08-24-15, 09:13 AM
Group Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 308 Posts
The chirp will turn to a squeal and then the freezer will stay moderately cold but the fridge wont.

No way to forecast the life expectancy.