GE Fridge not cold enough after repair

Old 09-06-15, 01:58 PM
GE Fridge not cold enough after repair

model # GSL25JFRFBS. Control board part # WR55X10942. One of the relays on the control board kept clicking when Fridge was plugged. No cool air no fan etc. I took out the board and found clearly two leaky electrolytic capacitors. I replaced them with same. Everything else looked very clean. Now the Fridge turns on, no more clicking noise and the freezer is very cold as expected. However, the main compartment is not cold enough. It has been 4 hours since I did the repair. Is this normal ? If I wait 4 more hours and the temp inside the fridge is still not as cold as it should be, what should I look for ? Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-15, 03:35 PM
Group Moderator
These GE fridges are noted for board failures. I haven't seen leaking caps before. Which ones did you change..... the two big high voltage caps ? Did you replace with the same voltage ?
Higher would be better.

These fridges use DC evaporator fans motors. Holding the door switch so that the fridge thinks the door is closed.... do you feel air flowing thru the fridge. You may have to locate the cold air outlet and check it there. The fan motors are noted for failures as well as damaging the control board.

Old 09-06-15, 03:48 PM
The leaky caps were next to the transformer. They were both 470uf/25 volts. And yes- I replaced them with 470/35V. Thank you for the other useful information.

Old 09-06-15, 03:56 PM
Group Moderator
You replaced two of the caps I've highlighted in yellow..... not the ones with the red X's .... correct ?

Name:  GE board.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  47.7 KB

Old 09-06-15, 04:03 PM
Yes. The ones very close together right next to the transformer.

Old 09-06-15, 04:11 PM
Group Moderator
Ok... good.

Did the two green ceramic resistors I circled in pink look ok on your board.... not dark or blackened ?
Those are the resistors that supply the evap. fan motor.

Old 09-06-15, 04:31 PM
No. They were as green as green can be. If they were discolored, I would have spotted them right away. I did not know they supply B+ to the motor. But I figured by virtue of their size they should be performing some important task so I paid extra attention to them.