Maytag Performa Washer will not spin...mostly

Old 09-16-15, 08:33 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Maytag Performa Washer will not spin...mostly

Maytag Performa PAV3240AWW - Top Loader

Problem: Washer stopped spinning during the spin cycle and agitated instead.

I replaced the thrust bearing assembly, but there seems to be some problem with that. (Even with the thinner washer, the cams are so tight that it does not meet the minimum movement point.) Right now, the thinner spacer washer is all that I have on there. (In fact, I tried it without either washer, and it still did not move enough to get to or past the minimum point.)

Observations:
1. When the washer is in spin cycle, it is difficult to move the drum. You can do it, but it does not spin freely.
2. Since putting in the new thrust bearing, it seems to agitate more forcefully in the spin cycle.
3. While agitating only in the spin cycle, pushing down on the agitator will cause the drum to spin. The oscillating action of the agitator will stop, and the spinning starts. However, after about 15 seconds of spinning, you can hear a small knock, and the spinning quickly stops. After pushing down the agitator to cause it to start spinning, you can reach in and easily stop the drum from spinning. And, when it stops, it is really easy to spin until you hear the knock that was previously mentioned. Then, it acts like it usually does--a bit difficult to spin.
4. While agitating in the spin cycle, placing clothes in the drum will cause the drum to spin. Periodically, it will return to the oscillating agitation only to start spinning again. This spinning too is easy to stop with your hand.
5. When replacing the thrust bearing and calibrating it, I could not feel the brake engage. The instructional video seemed to show that the pulley would snap back when released, but this was not observed.
6. When you stop the spin cycle (by triggering the lid latch or control knob), you can hear a sound that resembles the spring popping. But, I can't be certain.

Ideas?

Old 09-17-15, 02:43 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 78 Upvotes on 71 Posts
Thin washer is the only one I have ever put in. Been several years since I have done one but did you put lube under the ramp part. When you turn the pulley by hand one way the transmission will lift and than will spin. If it doesn't lift no spin. The slight rise lifts it off the brake. Even the thin washer is hard to install.

Old 09-17-15, 08:10 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Yes, I put the lube there. The thin washer was not too bad to put on. However, when you turn in to test the correct placement, the indicator arrow doesn't even reach the minimum point. From the video I watched, you are supposed to feel tension when you turn it past a certain point, but I feel no increase in tension. The pulley is easy to turn.

Old 09-17-15, 08:17 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,152 Upvotes on 3,729 Posts
Wish I could help but it's not a machine that's familiar to me.

Old 09-18-15, 05:38 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 78 Upvotes on 71 Posts
Sounds like something not installed right. Does the transmission lift when you turn pulley? forgot which way lifts trans but one way should cause trans to lift. The other way agitator works. Lean washer back against wall to do this so weight is on it. Leave front panel off so you can see what is happening. Usually instructions come with kit, Check break down and see if installed right.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: