Frigidaire electric range oven control burned up

Old 09-24-15, 06:10 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Frigidaire electric range oven control burned up

I jus got this range yesterday from a friend and It is a 5 years old appliance. My girlfriend went to use it for the first time tonite and It blew the breaker after the oven pre heated.. I thought nothing of it and reset breaker.. it proceded to start smoking.. before I made it to breaker panel it tripped again. So I pulled the oven out and took the back off to find what I think is a resistor on the oven control board all charred up(right below a relay and to the right of a wire harnes connection). I guess I am asking if the control board jus went bad or is there a underlying problem like a bad heat coil in oven or something? I'm a residential electrician so immediately I checked voltage at plug and verified outlet and cord were wired correctly.

Old 09-24-15, 07:38 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,324 Upvotes on 2,985 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

The oven element most likely shorted out. When you reset the breaker and tried it again it took out the control board.

You will probably need a new oven heating element. That would be the lower one. You can check it with an ohmmeter for continuity end to end and from each end to the outer metal casing.

Unplug range before any testing. The element always has one leg of power on to it.

Post the model number for that appliance.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: