Whirlpool Imperial series washer spin problem Part 2

Old 11-07-15, 01:28 PM
Whirlpool Imperial series washer spin problem Part 2

LSN1000JQ1 A continuation of this thread http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...tml?highlight= since the forum software won't let me revive the old thread saying it's too old so had to start a new one. Anyway I replaced the trans the clutch the motor coupling but it still acts up in the spin. and earlier this year when I went to use it after sitting idle for a year it washed fine but when it went into spin the agitator spun but the tub did not. I had to turn the machine off and on several times before the tub engaged. After the spin I noticed some small pieces of rusted metal in the bottom of the tub. Kinda like dime size. I wonder if the tub brakes are sticking and how do I bypass them. When I put the little metal clip that goes under the agitator in the wrong position the tube costed to a stop. If I removed that and the brake cam that's inside the clutch would the washer still work or would the tube move during wash. How hard is it to replace the tub brakes? I assume I need to remove the inner tub etc which means special tools like a tub wrench and would need to replace the tub seal while im at it just so there are no issues once fixed.

Last edited by pugsl; 11-08-15 at 04:04 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-15, 04:23 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes Received: 13
Added model # from old post please check LSN1000JQ1 Here is a break down of washer tub and agitator,
AGITATOR, BASKET AND TUB Diagram & Parts List for Model LSN1000JQ1 Whirlpool-Parts Washer-Parts | SearsPartsDirect
not following what you are saying,what medal clip are you talking about, the one on top of gearcase? The one's in between agitator and top of gearcase are noise suppression and will not affect operation. Rust in tub sounds like the tub is rusting out. Take agitator out and look at round part where it goes around gearcase shaft. Free spinning basket at end of spin sounds like a drive block #17 in diagram. Spanner wrench is a great help in taking basket out ( can be bought on line or any appliance repair store.) A large pipe wrench will also work, Have to hit handle to break nut free and a lot of times basket will be stuck on shaft and will not come out. Easy way to check if drive block is bad is to put washer in high spin. wait till it if spinning good than open lid, basket should spot with no banging.
To get to basket brake you would have to pull gearcase, brake will be the one still in washer. Clutch is one on top of gearcase. Would not worry about taking them out just be sure they are free to move. They are connected to basket drive and you have to remove tub and drive block to remove.
Agitator turning and not spinning sounds like gearcase problem. Google whirlpool gearcase rebuild and many videos on how to repair.

Old 11-08-15, 06:38 PM
When the washer went into a spin the agitator spun but the tub did not. Had to start and stop it a few times for the tub to engage. The gearcase is a rebult one. There is a metal clip under the agitator that when I did not put in back on correctly the tub free wheeled down. When I put it back on in the right order then the tub stopped when supposed to. What would happen if I removed the brake cam?
Basket drive is part 17

Last edited by pugsl; 11-10-15 at 04:38 AM.
Old 11-09-15, 06:41 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Are you talking about 7 & 8 in diagram, That clips and plastic parts should not have anything to do with spin. No brake cam no spin.

Old 11-10-15, 12:03 AM
yeah 7 and 8. When I put one of those on wrong after replacing the gearcase the tub coasted to a stop. Could this item Drive Basket | Part Number W10820043 | GUARANTEED FIT from Sears PartsDirect be sticking preventing the tub from going into a spin and only loosened once I started and stopped the machine a few times. How hard would it be to replace that if that is the issue.

Old 11-10-15, 04:38 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Basket drive could of caused tub to coast to a stop but usually will have a loud knocking sound. The drive block is more likely to be bad before The basket drive. Drive block is under tub and sits on top of basket drive shaft. Inside drive block are 2 square slots if you see one side of slots rounded off that block is bad, Sometimes the tans on basket drive are bent over a bit. I usually try to bend them back out but shaft is very hard and don't bend easy. I am trying to understand how you could of put 7 & 8 on wrong to cause tub to coast. Very puzzled on this. Basket drive is part 17