Magtag oven

Old 11-25-15, 06:07 PM
Received 156 Likes on 142 Posts
Magtag oven

Hi All, this may be a dumb question,but,Maytag Mdl MER7662WW 1 oven, not baking correctly,nothing cooks in the center (pie's cakes) ,I was looking at the wiring schematic and it shows 2 elements but this oven only has one on the top,is this correct,is this eleminate somehow a duel wattage setup?,never say an oven with only one element.
Geo

Old 11-25-15, 08:22 PM
C
Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts
Often (usually) the bottom element is below the sheet metal pan at the bottom of the oven cavity, so you can't see it.

Turn the oven on bake and touch (carefully) the bottom; you should feel it start to get hot.
Usually both elements are turned on at first when baking to preheat, then only the bottom element is used. When broiling, only the top element is used.

If both elements seem to work, next thing to check is the temperature using an oven thermometer to see if the temperature setting is way off.

Did it use to work OK or has it always done this?

Old 11-25-15, 09:32 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,194 Likes on 2,869 Posts
It is unusual for the bottom element to be out of site. Usually it's just above the bottom plate.

Checking with a thermometer is important. You need to see if the temperature is always a certain amount low or varies or exceeds the setpoint.

You could have one of two problems.... a control board with a defective relay or a defective temperature sensor.

Illustrated view of the inside of the oven.

Diagram & Parts List for Model MER7662WW1 Maytag-Range-Sears Parts Direct

Old 11-26-15, 03:33 AM
Received 156 Likes on 142 Posts
This oven has problems in the past,I replaced the control broad about a year ago along with the probe but the oven never really baked right,will checking the schematic last night I noticed it showed 2 elements,I didn't know that one could be under the pan,I'll check that out.
Thanks for the tip.
Geo

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: