Fisher & Paykel refrigerator cooling problem

Old 12-19-15, 04:55 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Fisher & Paykel refrigerator cooling problem

Hi, all! I have a Fisher & Paykel refrigerator Model E522B with the freezer on the bottom. I have the temp controls set as low as they go but the temp in the refrigerator section won't go below 40 degrees. The freezer section will make ice, but ice cream stays mushy. Everything appears ok, vents open and clear, the fan's working, the compressor works and everything is clean and free of dust. What's the problem? Is there another temp adjustment in the control box in the back or is it a bad temp sensor?
Thanx!

Old 12-19-15, 05:36 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,333 Upvotes on 2,992 Posts
You have an "Active Smart™ refrigerator." Just the sound of that sounds like an expensive repair.

I don't have direct access to the manuals for that brand. I can offer you generic repair help.

Yours is an electronic fridge. It has independent fridge and freezer controls. Most likely there is a motorized damper between the fridge and freezer that balances the temperature. Most, if not, all modern fridges rely on cold flowing air. That means that there is an evaporator fan inside the freezer that moves the air. This type of system relies on a clean, no ice, coil.

One important thing is..... does the compressor cycle or run all the time ?

A typical problem is ice on the evaporator. Usually if that's the problem you won't feel much airflow in the fridge.

Another typical problem.... failure of the condensor fan under the fridge. That fan needs to run to remove the heat from the condensor and the compressor area. Check that.

Since this is an electronic fridge..... there are sensors in the fridge and freezer that monitor the ambient internal air as well as the evaporator coil for ice.

Old 12-19-15, 05:56 PM
Group Moderator
A first.... I found an actual helpful service manual online for your appliance. I'd download it and look it over. All the functions of the fridge are clearly explained.

There doesn't appear to be a condensor fan under the fridge.
This fridge uses two DC controlled fans.... one for freezer and one for fridge section.
This fridge uses a 3 phase DC invertor type of compressor. It changes speed based on demand.

I'd go to the diagnostic section of the manual and put the fridge in diagnostic test mode and then run that. It may pick up a fault. There is also a step for activating a manual defrost cycle. That should be tried too.

fisher_and_paykel_790_active_smart_refrigerator_freezer.pdf

Old 12-20-15, 09:25 AM
M
Thanks Pete!
Complicated machine! I don't believe we're iced up as the compressor does stop running when the temp gets down to 40. Also, as I stated, both fans work and I can't see that there's any obstructions. The freezer section seems ok now though but haven't actually checked the temp yet. I'll check your info out, but I really don't want to tear everything apart now because we're having everyone here for Christmas and I don't wanna mess up. Guess I'll have to call someone and get ripped off!
John

Old 12-20-15, 09:34 AM
M
Pete, downloaded the manual. This is for a different refrigerator as I have a bottom freezer, but I guess the trouble shooting info should be about the same.
Thanx, John

Old 12-20-15, 10:11 AM
Group Moderator
The trouble shooting info spans several models if you look thru it... B and T.

I actually should have asked you a question first. Take temp measurements of the freezer and fridge and post them.

The compressor shutting off is a good sign as it pretty much eliminates a low refrigerant problem.

Old 12-21-15, 08:29 AM
M
Ok, the freezer is right at 0 degrees and for some reason now, the PC is at 38 degrees, which I suppose I can accept (?)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: