Maytag refrigerator compressor

Old 01-01-16, 11:57 AM
C
Received 236 Likes on 194 Posts
Maytag refrigerator compressor

Perfect timing. Our fridge crapped out on New Years Eve and today we have a house full of guests. The fridge is a 10 y/o (compressor warrantee expired in Oct) Maytag 25 cu/ft with double doors and a bottom freezer. The compressor is not running.

My question - is there anything other than the compressor that could be the cause? The condenser coils are clean and I can hear a fan running.

Assuming the compressor is toast - any opinions on whether it would be cost effective to having the compressor replaced (a $400 part) on a ten year old appliance.

Model # MFD2561HES

More info on edit - There is what I believe to be a starter relay mounted on the side of the compressor. Every couple of minutes the relay starts to chatter indicating that the temperature sensor is telling the compressor to turn on. I can't tell if the relay is chattering (buzzing) because it is faulty or if it is chattering because the compressor is seized. The compressor is warm to the touch. A thin piece of insulating material above the compressor is mostly dust, falling apart at a touch. I don't know if that is normal.

Last edited by cwbuff; 01-01-16 at 01:17 PM.
Old 01-01-16, 04:50 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,156 Likes on 2,836 Posts
That layer over the compressor sounds like a dust buildup. While you're down there.... make sure everything is clean.... including the condensor fan.

The compressor is cycling on high heat due to thermal overload. I'd start by replacing the starter.

The start device for your fridge is W10613606.

A replacement video can be found at..... you tube/watch?v=04jUaoDEANI

Old 01-08-16, 03:49 PM
C
Received 236 Likes on 194 Posts
Pete,

I got a replacement starter relay in the mail today. Refrigerator is now working like a champ. Thanks for the help.

BTW - The stuff above the compressor was in fact insulation. It just turned to dust when touched.

Old 01-09-16, 02:09 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,156 Likes on 2,836 Posts
Ahhh..... it must have been some type of foam or sponge rubber.

Glad your back in operation.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: