Frigidaire electric range: oven not coming up to temp

Old 01-01-16, 03:57 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Frigidaire electric range: oven not coming up to temp

Thank you in advanced for all your help!

My oven was not coming up to temperature. The stove is a Frigidaire Gallery electric range. FES388WGCC. I noticed that the broiler element heats but the bake element remains cold. I inspected the element and the wires to the element and all look well. I tested the resistance of the temperature probe and got 1018. I hear the relays snapping in and out on the control board. I measured the voltage at the element with the oven on and got 235 on the working broiler element and I got 185 at the non working baking element. I have continuity on the bake element with a resistance around 20.5.

My fear is that it is in the control board. Part # 318012903 which has been discontinued from Frigidaire. Any advice on how to further diagnosis this? Any option for the control board? Can I hook the broiler element leads to the bake element to test the bake element and not cause any problems with the control board?

I look forward to hearing your responses!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-16, 04:27 PM
Group Moderator
Received 255 Votes on 240 Posts
You should be getting the same voltage.... 235vac on the bake element as on the broil element. The bake element should at least get fairly warm with 185vac on it.

It is very likely a control board problem. It can be defective solder or a burned relay.
I can help you fix it if you can handle soldering repairs.

Yes.... you can swap the elements for test purposes.
There should be a tech sheet inside the appliance.... look for it !

Old 01-01-16, 04:59 PM
I have the tech sheet but I always struggle reading them. I figured it is probably a bad relay. I can handle easy soldering. Ive done a fair bit of soldering LED lights for aquarium lights and i built an automatic opening door for my chicken coop that required a bunch of soldering. Should I pull the control board out or should I check voltage coming out of the relay first?

Teach me!

Old 01-01-16, 06:47 PM
Group Moderator
Awesome..... photo the tech sheet schematic part and send it to me.

This was another thread where we repaired the board....
http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...d-working.html

Old 01-02-16, 08:33 AM
I took the control board apart this morning to take a peak and get some pictures. The Bake relay solder was not looking good. I fired up my soldering iron and soldered the pin back in and put it all together and we have a nice hot oven again.

Old 01-02-16, 08:54 AM
Group Moderator
There may be a second relay controlling element power. I usually resolder all the relays and terminals where the high current connections are.